Heater Question

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by phinsfan7676, Jul 16, 2019.

1. phinsfan7676

phinsfan7676New MemberMember

I've read its better to have 2 lower wattage heaters in a tank than 1 high wattage heater. Would 2 100 Watt heaters be enough for a 30 gallon tank? Its on the main level of our house so it won't be getting super cold.

2. Fishproblem

FishproblemValued MemberMember

A basic rule of thumb is 3-5 watts per gallon - however, my understanding of the dual heater strategy is not to have two heaters that alone aren’t powerful enough to heat the tank. Instead, the idea is to have two heaters that each could individually heat the tank running simultaneously as a failsafe in case one stops working.

3. Zka17

Zka17Valued MemberMember

Check this to decide on the heater:

It does depend on the ambient temperature...

4. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

I don't know I have only ever ran one.

5. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

One heater is fine for any tank. Some people elect to run 2 heaters if their tank is vary large and they are worried about dead zones or water cooling down by the time it reaches the opposite end of the tank.

If you do elect to use 2 heaters, make sure they are each, individually capable of heating the tank and both are adjustable. Before you use them, you need to set the heaters to the same temperature - not just what the dial says, but so that they turn on and off at the same time when sitting next to each other in a bucket of water. Then you can place them in your tank at opposite ends.

6. appcontrol

appcontrolWell Known MemberMember

I don't see the point in having 2 heaters in 30 gallon, in larger tanks 100,200... It make sense just use one, and it depends on your ambient temparature I as exemple use fluval e50 50w on 22 gallon long and it is more than enough.