Heater Question

LadyBoots

I have an Aqueon 50W preset heater that keeps my 10 gallon betta tank consistently at 79*F. I have another identical heater, and I’ve used both in smaller tanks, and they’ve always kept my tanks at 79*, I’ve never had any issues with them.

My friend got a betta over the weekend, and I told her to get a 10 gallon tank and an Aqueon 100W heater, knowing her house is colder than mine. We both have the same tank and lid: Aqueon 10 gallon tank and Aqueon Versatop lid. She doesn’t have a test kit and is doing a fish-in cycle, so I told her to do 50% wc’s until she gets her test kit (it arrives tomorrow; don’t worry, she’s using Prime and Stability). I showed her how to temperature match her tap water and all that jazz. Her tank had been at about 75*, but she didn’t have her lid until yesterday. She got her lid setup last night and did a water change. She said she temp-matched the new water before she added it, but she says this morning the temp hadn’t moved at all (but is still in the “green” section on the thermometer).

Her house is at 65*F and she’s only had the lid on for about 12 hours. From what research I’ve done, a 100W heater should be more than enough for a 10 gallon in a 65*F room.

Is that 100W Aqueon a suitable heater? I know there are better brands than Aqueon, but mine have never failed me, and I had heard bad things about their adjustable ones

Blitzar

The adjustable ones have never failed on me! One of mine is getting up to about two years old at this point, and is probably my best heater.

Mike1995

honestly I'd ask her to get an adjustable one. I've had a few preset aqueons and they simply just stopped working. Partly because heaters need flow to direct the heat, but in a betta tank(which I also have) they get blown around with too much flow. I'd get marineland 50 or 100 watt if they have them. I've had a lot of success with them in the 300/400 watt size lol.

cadd

Her house is at 65*F and she’s only had the lid on for about 12 hours. From what research I’ve done, a 100W heater should be more than enough for a 10 gallon in a 65*F room.

Is that 100W Aqueon a suitable heater? I know there are better brands than Aqueon, but mine have never failed me, and I had heard bad things about their adjustable ones
100W in a 10 gal is more than enough. My house is kept at 50 degrees from 6am to 7pm (during the day when no one is home) and my 100W Aqueon heater is able to keep the temp at 79 degrees.

LadyBoots

honestly I'd ask her to get an adjustable one. I've had a few preset aqueons and they simply just stopped working. Partly because heaters need flow to direct the heat, but in a betta tank(which I also have) they get blown around with too much flow. I'd get marineland 50 or 100 watt if they have them. I've had a lot of success with them in the 300/400 watt size lol.

The one I’m still using has been great honestly (my other one simply isn’t needed atm, although I wish I had it for my shrimp tank instead of my 25W heater). She just needed a heater that day, and her Petco only had the adjustable and preset Aqueons. There’s always good and bad batches in every brand, but I figured it’d be better than a Tetra . Plus the preset ended up being only $12 after price matching. But I told her today that I’m getting an adjustable eheim, and she could get a better heater online and return the Aqueon if she wants, and she said she would look into it

LadyBoots

100W in a 10 gal is more than enough. My house is kept at 50 degrees from 6am to 7pm (during the day when no one is home) and my 100W Aqueon heater is able to keep the temp at 79 degrees.

I figured 100W should be plenty, but she’s kind of freaking out haha. This is her first betta that she’s doing correctly, and she just wants the best for him. I told her to let the tank sit today and tonight and see if it heats up. Tbf, she couldn’t remember exactly what the thermometer read, and said it was 75-78, which is definitely higher than when I was there

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
sav023
Replies
Views
Dippiedee
Replies
Views
Alphonsus
Replies