Heater Question For 90g Dt, 30g Sump

Wpppudge02

Just to preface a little bit, I have kept aquariums for around 5 years but it was a long time ago when glass tube heaters were pretty much the only option.

I recently decided to get back into the hobby and am currently setting up/tuning a Freshwater tank before I cycle. I was flabbergasted at the amount of options when it comes to all accessories now available to the hobby, but it made me happy to see it growing.

So my question in regards to heating is what seems to be a common if not thee most common question I see on fish forums. what size heater do I need?

Ambient room temp is 71 year round. In the winter it drops slightly at night but the house is heated/cooled very efficiently.

tank temp for the past two weeks has held 74night-76day that is with the pump and inline UV. and so I don't have very far to go in order to be at 80 which is my target temp. With only a variable temp difference of 5-6 degrees I was eyeing up "hyyger titanium/controller combo in the 200w range because it will fit perfectly into the sump. The next size up will fit but I am going to have to place it in the return chamber of the sump and place it at a weird angle. I am also aware that it is normal to use two heaters in case one fails you don't want livestock to freeze. the tank is almost 100% covered on the top and only evaps/loses heat from the little 30 gallon sump so the temp holds very well once it is where it is. I plan on keeping a back up on hand just in case but I am dealing with tight quarters in the sump.

Is 200W enough to get the little bump I need or would you guys recommend a different solution?
Was going to put heater in the left portion of sump under the incoming drain water, also the portion that is behind the middle brace in second picture is a chamber filled with bio-balls.

Side note yes I know its in front of a window"south facing" very little sun. Yes I know that is not ideal, the back of the tank is 100% blacked out and both blinds stay shut unless I am doing water changes which is also why the tank is there because the RO/DI system is on the outside of the house right beside the windows. As well as one of my gardens so tank water will be drained into them. It is a proximity thing.

IMG_2216.JPG
IMG_E2237.JPG

richiep

whats the volume of the main tank sorry just noticed 90 gall I would say you need two 200 watt to to be fair one heater I think will be overworked

86 ssinit

Welcome to fishlore!! Nice looking tank. I’m not using a sump on a 90 gal and I use a 300w finnex heater. What I like about this heater is the controls are on the cord and outside the tank. Makes it that much easier to change temp. From the size of your sump this heater should fit.

coralbandit

I hate recommending heaters..
I run my fish room with only Aqueon Pros ..
I would run 2@ 200 ,maybe for price difference 2@ 300 like I do in my 180g sump of what ever you get .
I like titanium heaters but last time I checked the finnex were all sold out from my chosen supplier..
The Hygger looks nice but their own site says the 200 is good only upto 40g??

Wpppudge02

I wasn’t sure if it would be enough for a 5 degree bump or not I guess I’ll do the 300w hyyger

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MaddieTaylah
  • Question
  • BigBeardDaHuZi
  • Heater
Replies
Views
BigBeardDaHuZi
  • DoughBoy93090
  • Heater