Heater Problems

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by Nauthes, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Nauthes

NauthesValued MemberMember

I have a 50gallon tropical community tank.
    In the tank i have...
    8x Boesemani Rainbow
    6x Congo Tetra
    10x Kuhli Loach

I usually aim to keep the temperature around 78.
    But recently the tank has been going up to 80.

Ive also noticed Brown algae creeping around my tank and its covering a great deal of my heater.
    Would algae cause the heater to overheat the tank?
    Whats the best way to clean it?
    Or is it best to replace it? Any suggestions on a heater?

2. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazonWell Known MemberMember

I would just suggest lowering the temp of you heater. Mine seems to need readjusting from time to time too. For the algae, I highly recommend getting some nerite snails. :) I have 3 in my tank and they have cleaned the glass really well! It has taken a couple of weeks and I have helped scrub the front of the tank too, but they have done a great job! I've also added some amano shrimp to the tank to help with algae on the plants.

3. OP
    OP
    Nauthes

I have tried lowering the Temperature on the heater. Its currently set at 76 :/
    But it seems to have a mind of its own and just likes 80 better I guess.

As for nerite snails i would rather not wait to go out and buy them then wait for them to eat the algae on the heater, maybe a good solution to prevent this from happening again so ill be looking into some snail buddies.

I'd rather address the problem immediately as im sure my fish are tired of these "Hot Days"
    Do you have a suggestion on how to clean it myself?

4. RedLoredAmazon

Ok, sounds like a plan! :) This may not be so useful to you since I have had to monkey around with my heaters for a bit, but haven't done so in awhile. I use Aqueon for my heaters in my tanks since they are pretty easy to adjust the temperature.

For algae control, I have one of those aquarium scrubbers. It has a slightly coarse scrubbie thing on the end that I use to scrub against the glass. I have used paper towels to clean the tank inside too. Hope this helps! :)

5. OP
    OP
    Nauthes

Yeah mine is also an aqueon heater has worked well so far.

So best practice is to just wipe it down with a paper towel as best i can?
    If its still stuck at 80 i guess its time to replace it? Or did you have any further troubleshooting to try?

6. RedLoredAmazon

I just kept lowering the temp till it got to the correct temperature. I did notice that mine wanted to be at 80 too. I think to get the actual temperature to 75, I adjusted the heater to 70 or 68. I had a National Geographic heater and had to toss it since it was so difficult to adjust the heat at all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice