Heater positioning

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by Kimberly4403, Jul 27, 2015.

1. K

Kimberly4403 Well Known Member Member

I have a 4foot 75g tank and have 2 heaters 1 either end of the tank is it ok for heaters to be hidden behind plants? Those with planted tanks were do you position ur heaters and do any of your plants leaves or roots if you have plants growing out of tank touch them?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Putting them behind your plants will be fine. If the leaves touch them it should not hurt anything.

3. OP
    OP
    K

The other thing im worried about is ive just noticed the water line mark on side of heaters just under black top were as ive always had my heaters fully submerged.. Does this mean i need to lower my water? Will having them fully submerged be dangerous? Thats as high as the heaters can go due to cord and purple nob touching lip of tank.. I was hoping to fill my tank a little higher so the level would sit just below black lip?

Attached Files:

4. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

The water dissipates the heat so plants touching the heater shouldn't be a problem. I actually hide my heaters with plants intentionally. And I keep just the purple knob sticking out of the water on mine. That way if water evaporates my heater will still have water above that line.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Most heaters are fully submersible, what brand are you using?

6. OP
    OP
    K

AquaOne

7. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry I'm not familiar with that brand, does it mention on the packaging if it's fully submersible?

8. OP
    OP
    K

Instructions are not 100% clear it gives no water line advice or diagram.. I read on another sit that if not fully submerged they can "blow up" so ive contacted AquaOne to clarify this

9. McFly

McFly Valued Member Member

Aqua One says their heaters are fully submersible. Most newer heaters are.

I have decent current in my tank from the canister filter wand, and put the heater.in that 'current' to keep water moving past it. I don't hide it, as I like to see the light when it turns on... it's just me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice