Heater position and placement

MaeKay
That could be taken the wrong way just about anywhere else

That was sort of why I thought it was funny. I'm about as straight laced as they come. I've never had alcohol or illegal drugs and I don't even take caffeine or most over the counter stuff. Hence the irony of me encapsulating anything. (I'm from Northern California...it looks funny to me...)

jenmur
MaeKay. Sadly, I had to read your post, max h post and your 2nd post again before I got it -sigh- hehehehe. But yes it could be read or heard the wrong way in other places. Here it's"stuff for fish, yay!!"

I have drank caffeine and alcohol. No drugs unless by doctor (wisdom teeth have gone) not a huge fan of alcohol and caffeine has no effect on me that I can tell . That's ok, I'm bouncy enough normally hehehe. But now I'm gonna be looking at Kroger as well!!

max h
It's no big deal guys/gals, you gotta have a little fun too. There's way to many things around the world that are really serious, but if anybody wants to meet at Kroger for some root tabs hit me up.

MaeKay
but if anybody wants to meet at Kroger for some root tabs hit me up.

jenmur
max h. Oh I have plenty of fun . Heheh. I can be serious......at times......usually. Dangit the tank isn't set up yet and Frazier doesn't have root plants. Hehehehe.

Ohh I found both regular and Plus of the Osmocote! It's at Ace Hardware!

7d6a966191a44d9b170e58655ffb9f0c.jpg

Now I am guessing I either just pop them underneath my sand by plants or I still add them into gel capsules? How many would I put into the capsules?

MaeKay
Ohh I found both regular and Plus of the Osmocote! It's at Ace Hardware!

7d6a966191a44d9b170e58655ffb9f0c.jpg

Now I am guessing I either just pop them underneath my sand by plants or I still add them into gel capsules? How many would I put into the capsules?

The little balls are kind of hollow and "pop" easily under the pressure of your finger. They also probably change texture as soon as they get wet. So the gel capsule (or ice cube) is to facilitate getting them into the soil without them falling apart.

The pictures I saw online seemed to show the 00 sized gel capsules full. I know I bought a pack for under $5 at my health food store. (I want to say it was a pack of 100 capsules -empty 00 size gel capsules).

jenmur
The little balls are kind of hollow and "pop" easily under the pressure of your finger. They also probably change texture as soon as they get wet. So the gel capsule (or ice cube) is to facilitate getting them into the soil without them falling apart.

The pictures I saw online seemed to show the 00 sized gel capsules full. I know I bought a pack for under $5 at my health food store. (I want to say it was a pack of 100 capsules -empty 00 size gel capsules).

Oh good points there. We want them getting to the plants not dissolving in the water.

I didn't know gel capsules came in different sizes to buy. Makes sense since different medicine has different sizes though.

TexasDomer
I filled the 00 gel caps to full. The balls won't dissolve in the water that quickly (the ball themselves never really dissolve), but the gel caps help you to get multiple in an area easily and quickly.

jenmur
I filled the 00 gel caps to full. The balls won't dissolve in the water that quickly (the ball themselves never really dissolve), but the gel caps help you to get multiple in an area easily and quickly.

Alrighty. Fill until full . Ohh I can't wait!!! Must to be patient. Sigh. But yeah I'm liking this fertilizer I think.

sapphire
so I just bought the 00 size capsules at that piping rock place, and as a new customer you get $5 off...so I only spent $1.95 on shipping

jenmur
so I just bought the 00 size capsules at that piping rock place, and as a new customer you get $5 off...so I only spent $1.95 on shipping

Awesome!!!

Boostr
I have a 150 w Aqueon adjustable heater in my 20 gallon long and its placed in the center at an angle cause the tank is to short. My Fluval 206 intake is right next to it so it will take in the heated water and spread it thru the tank. I have my thermometer at the opposite side of the tank, and my temps stay perfect.

jenmur
I have a 150 w Aqueon adjustable heater in my 20 gallon long and its placed in the center at an angle cause the tank is to short. My Fluval 206 intake is right next to it so it will take in the heated water and spread it thru the tank. I have my thermometer at the opposite side of the tank, and my temps stay perfect.

That's what I had to do for the 100w in my 20 gallon tank!! . Except I have a HOB. Hmm that is an idea if I get one 150 or 200w heater

MaeKay
Awesome!!!

Remember how I said I had a 200w heater in my tank and it wasn't sufficient to evenly heat the entire tank? After reading someone's recommendation to lay the heater horizontally, I now only have to use one heater and the entire tank is the same temperature! So hopefully that will save you money.

This also explains why the Eheim Jager heaters are so freaking big. You shouldn't place them vertically or they just heater the tiny area around the heater.

Piaelliott
Remember how I said I had a 200w heater in my tank and it wasn't sufficient to evenly heat the entire tank? After reading someone's recommendation to lay the heater horizontally, I now only have to use one heater and the entire tank is the same temperature! So hopefully that will save you money.

This also explains why the Eheim Jager heaters are so freaking big. You shouldn't place them vertically or they just heater the tiny area around the heater.
The manual for the Eheim Jaeger says to put it vertically, I think it has something to do with the thermostat so that it holds the temperature. I have a 150 w Eheim Jaeger for my 40 gal breeder, it is vertically right next to my intake and my temperature holds well and doesn't fluctuate.

MaeKay
The manual for the Eheim Jaeger says to put it vertically, I think it has something to do with the thermostat so that it holds the temperature. I have a 150 w Eheim Jaeger for my 40 gal breeder, it is vertically right next to my intake and my temperature holds well and doesn't fluctuate.

Hmmm, good to know. I had a 200w vertical and tried to position it by intake in my 55 gallon and the other side of the tank was 3 degrees cooler! So I put another 50w heater in the other side.

It has been horizontal for about 3 days holding steady with just one heater. But I don't want to fry the heater.

jenmur
MaeKay. I am planning on two 150w heaters placed either horizontal or diagonal. That way in case one messes up I still have one to work. Probably the Aqueon adjustable ones. Started a thread about starting the gather stuff for my tank. Sorta to keep spirits up and keep track of things

Piaelliott
Hmmm, good to know. I had a 200w vertical and tried to position it by intake in my 55 gallon and the other side of the tank was 3 degrees cooler! So I put another 50w heater in the other side.

It has been horizontal for about 3 days holding steady with just one heater. But I don't want to fry the heater.
Before I bought my Eheim, I was googling reviews. Lots of people have it horizontally, I just decided to follow the manual. I have a canister filter with the spray bar on the short side of the tank, so the water goes lengthwise through the entire tank and then back to the intake which his on the same side as the spray bar.

MaeKay
Before I bought my Eheim, I was googling reviews. Lots of people have it horizontally, I just decided to follow the manual. I have a canister filter with the spray bar on the short side of the tank, so the water goes lengthwise through the entire tank and then back to the intake which his on the same side as the spray bar.

It's usually wise to follow the manual!

pizzahotdough
HI I was just wondering what would be the position of the heater you would prefer in my 2.5 gallon betta tank. It's a 50watt submersible heater and it's currently placed at the back of the tank horizontally. I'm worried that the heat won't spread that much. It used to be on the left corner of the tank beside my sponge filter but its water current is not that strong because it would stress the betta out and I'm worried that the heat will not circulate properly. Thank you and it's my very first heater by the way.

jamie carmichael
Vertically should work fine although if you are worried you could put it diagonally and also get a digital thermometer.

Fanatic
I always put my heaters vertical, but my small tanks have them horizontal all the way to the bottom.

Culprit
Whichever position looks the best. However you can hide it. In my reef its sideways behind rock, in my high tech I have nowhere to hide it so its verticle behind my canister inflow.

midna
so i've been looking at photos of tanks and noticed that almost all of y'all position your submersible heaters diagonally at an angle in your tanks, sometimes almost horizontally, and sometimes close to the bottom of the tank. is this to help evenly disperse the heat throughout the tank, or because the heater is too tall? or just a personal preference?

I have a 50w submersible heater for a 10 gallon tank. it's about 10 inches long. I always positioned the heater straight up and down in the corner of my old 5.5g. i'm wondering if I should do the same in my 10g.

also, would a 50w be appropriate for a 10g, or do I need to upgrade? it's adjustable up to 90 degrees. I'll be keeping my tank at 80 degrees.

CanadianFishFan
I always put my heater straight up but people put them sideways if their too tall or to spread the heat out evenly. ( I don't like that I always have a cool side and warm side for my bettas) People id assume put them on the bottom so they can stay on during water changes? I think a 50watt would work.

Bryangar
It’s usually places near the flow, to send it around the tank so you won’t get a hot spot. It’s usually just personal preference to have it horizontal or vertical. I usually have mine with the knobs sticking out just in case I need to adjust the temp.

It should be fine which ever way you chose, but every heater isn’t fully submersible. You will need to have the knob sticking up depending on the heater you have.

50W should be fine.

midna
I always put my heater straight up but people put them sideways if their too tall or to spread the heat out evenly. ( I don't like that I always have a cool side and warm side for my bettas) People id assume put them on the bottom so they can stay on during water changes? I think a 50watt would work.

oh!!! the water changes part makes sense! I didn't think of that. I used to do 100% wc on my old tank, which I won't be doing anymore, so I always just turned it off before I did them.

It’s usually places near the flow, to send it around the tank so you won’t get a hot spot. It’s usually just personal preference to have it horizontal or vertical. I usually have mine with the knobs sticking out just in case I need to adjust the temp.

It should be fine which ever way you chose, but every heater isn’t fully submersible. You will need to have the knob sticking up depending on the heater you have.

50W should be fine.

thank you! i'm pretty sure mine is fully submersible, but I would let the knob stick out so I could adjust it if I needed to, too.

Nickguy5467
sorry. off topic but I notice it a lot. is it better to position your heater diagonally like that?

david1978
I don't think position means much. It just needs to be were there is flow. Mines usually horizontal under the output of my filter. Right now it propt up in the corner because it keeps unsticking itself and I haven't moved it yet. Perfomance wise I don't notice a difference.

leftswerve
sorry. off topic but I notice it a lot. is it better to position your heater diagonally like that?
Only if you don't top off regularly and too much of the heater is exposed.

Galathiel
It also depends on the heater. I know my Cobalt heater states to only place it completely upright. Otherwise, I usually place them either diagonally or horizontally near the output of the filter to disperse the warmed water around the tank.

Nickguy5467
heres where my heater is, next to my left filter. I have 2 thermometers in my tank one on the left and one in the middle. oddly the one I have in the middle of my tank is usually around 78.0 and the one behind my heater and filter is usually colder. and yes I know I have an algae issue. I'm trying to learn how to deal with it

Fishnube88
I have a 20 gal and my heater is on the opposite end from the filter and thermomitor. I've seen some of you guys say it should be near the filter to help disperse the heat. So wondering where u guys place yours. I ask because my platys and mollies stay on that side of the tank. Mollies are even cuddling with the heater even though thermomitor says 74

Salem
In smaller tanks or with heaters that are particularly long I try to keep them in the middle on the back. However I really haven't noticed many differences in placing.

oldsalt777
I have a 20 gal and my heater is on the opposite end from the filter and thermomitor. I've seen some of you guys say it should be near the filter to help disperse the heat. So wondering where u guys place yours. I ask because my platys and mollies stay on that side of the tank. Mollies are even cuddling with the heater even though thermomitor says 74

Hello Fish...

If you want to distribute the heat evenly, then place the heater in the back of the tank in the middle. I would place an air stone on the bottom directly under the heater. The bubble action from the air stone will spread the heat evenly around the tank.

Old

TWiG87
In smaller tanks or with heaters that are particularly long I try to keep them in the middle on the back. However I really haven't noticed many differences in placing.

I’ve always done the same and it has worked out well. With some water movement the heat should be distributed. Also, make sure to angle it for a better reading/dispersion

ghostdawg
I saw a YT video about placement of heaters and it mention to put it in a 45 degree angle. I tried doing it and it seems to work better then straight up & down for me!

Littlebudda
On my old 55 I ran a reverse under gravel filter and placed the heaters under the filter plates and it worked like a charm.

GabrielParker
I'm just wondering whether my interpet delta therm 200w heater is set up properly and in the right place?

15935519450097232490954384926476.jpg

1593551979853236799727414755634.jpg

1593552029043648742138443036933.jpg

LadfromLondon
Looks fine to me

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
grump299
Top Bottom