Heater position and placement

MaeKay
If it's a leaf, it's fine, but the bud will form on a long, thin, strand. I would go ahead and remove it now if you have one.

I don't think I see anything that resembles a bud yet. I'll have to look online for leave and flower morphology to make sure I know what I'm looking at.

Thanks again for the tip! You saved me thinking my plant was dying instead of just going dormant (had it come to that...)

jenmur
If it's a leaf, it's fine, but the bud will form on a long, thin, strand. I would go ahead and remove it now if you have one.

Good to know! Is it ok to add plants throughout the cycling process? I know I won't be able to buy all the plants all at once.

TexasDomer
Yes, you can add plants during cycling

jenmur
Yes, you can add plants during cycling

Ok good to know! . I'm apparently planning on more than a few plants so I'll be buying them in stages. Probably Anubias and Java fern first cuz they seem easy care plants

So I saw Seachem Florish at my LFS today. It comes in both root tab form and a liquid form. Which would be better? I am currently thinking liquid cuz more for cheaper and I'll be having non rooted plants as well as rooted but I am not sure.

TexasDomer
Depends on your plants. Rooted plants really should have root tabs, but column feeding plants would do better with a liquid fertilizer. I like use DIY root tabs rather than Seachem's (cheaper), though I do use Flourish.

jenmur
Depends on your plants. Rooted plants really should have root tabs, but column feeding plants would do better with a liquid fertilizer. I like use DIY root tabs rather than Seachem's (cheaper), though I do use Flourish.

I haven't been to Lowes yet but I do plan on looking into that fertilizer! I am planning on both types I guess. Anubias, Java fern, Anachris, swords, water wisteria, Val, etc. would it be ok to use tabs and see how the column plants do? Then if they need anything get liquid Seachem Florish?

TexasDomer
Yes, those column feeding plants should be fine with just fish waste.

jenmur
Yes, those column feeding plants should be fine with just fish waste.

Okie dokie . I wasn't sure and wanted to know! . Then when I get my first rooted plants I will get tabs for them either from fish store or
Lowes

MaeKay
I use Osmocote Plus in gel capsules. You can also get some and put them in ice cubes and use those instead of the name-brand root tabs. Much cheaper!

So are we just talking the regular Osmocote that looks like coriander seeds and then you hand-pack those into gel capsules? And what specific formulation of Osmocote is best? I don't really want to promote flowering and it seems silly to add N to the tank. Or is the stuff in the water column not as accessible as stuff in the substrate?

Thanks for all the help! I'm learning a ton from the discussion.

jenmur
I want to know this too! @MayKay you read my mind!

TexasDomer. Please let us know how you do this fertilizer in your tank

MaeKay
I want to know this too! @MayKay you read my mind!

TexasDomer. Please let us know how you do this fertilizer in your tank

Following your thread has really helped me, too, since our plans are similar.

jenmur
Following your thread has really helped me, too, since our plans are similar.

That's awesome! .

MaeKay
So I did some research regarding Osmocote, Osmocote Plus, and Flourish. Osmocote Plus is available in the 1 pound container at my local walmart for under $10 (and I need some for my houseplants, anyway). On amazon the 4 pound bag is around $27.

Regular Osmocote has just NPK (Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium) whereas the Plus also has micronutrients. Both Flourish and Plus have a tiny amount of copper but from what I've read, it doesn't seem to bother the inverts in the tank.

The formulation for the regular Osmocote is 19-6-12, plus is 15-9-12. So basically a little less nitrogen and a little more phosphorous. Nitrogen promotes "green" growth whereas phosphorous promotes root growth (and potassium provides all around support... I'm remembering all this from my college botany classes a decade ago...so there's a small chance I'm wrong).

I probably don't understand how the percentages work but Flourish root tabs have fractions for the nutrients, not 19 or 15. Not sure if that means there's less or they're using a different system.

I might as well give Osmocote Plus a try since I need some fertilizer anyway and I randomly have some gel capsules laying around.

Sources: Difference Between Osmocote & Osmocote Plus

Funny how a heater question turned into a planted tank primer... that's generally how my mind travels.

jenmur
MaeKay. I am guessing I will try to find either although perhaps could look for Plus first cuz fish will provide nitrogen and it has the micronutrients. I might have a few nitrite snails but if it doesn't bother them and helps the plants I'm good. I can look at Tractor Supply and see what price they have it for as well as looking at Lowes and Walmart.

So you think it's just putting the stuff in the gel capsule and burying by the roots of the plants?

Oh yes but that is also how my mind works as well! . But you have to find the right plants for the temperature you will be having right? Hehe

MaeKay
MaeKay. I am guessing I will try to find either although perhaps could look for Plus first cuz fish will provide nitrogen and it has the micronutrients. I might have a few nitrite snails but if it doesn't bother them and helps the plants I'm good. I can look at Tractor Supply and see what price they have it for as well as looking at Lowes and Walmart.

So you think it's just putting the stuff in the gel capsule and burying by the roots of the plants?

Oh yes but that is also how my mind works as well! . But you have to find the right plants for the temperature you will be having right? Hehe

I think the Plus is better because it has the micronutrients. Especially if you're using an inert substrate that doesn't have any nutrients at all.

Just looked at Lowes (thanks for the suggestion) and they have the 2 pound container of Plus for the same price as the 1 pound at Walmart (and it's in stock at my local store).

I think the purpose of the gel capsules or ice cubes is just to facilitate getting those tiny beads down into the substrate efficiently. The ice and/or gel will melt/dissolve pretty fast but hopefully by then you've gotten them buried so you won't have little balls floating around.

I don't think temperature is that big of a deal for aquarium plants. (Your fish will care long before your plants will) I think it's the lighting that matters (PAR values being the most important). Too low of light and your plants won't grow. Too high and, unless you start dosing some serious CO2, you'll have algae growing faster than your plants. (I've been leaving my cheap T5 Coralife lamp on for 12 hours the past week and am just now finding smudges of algae on my glass. For the few weeks prior I think I had the lamp on for 9-10 hours. Or maybe there just wasn't enough nutrients in the tank yet to feed the algae...)

jenmur
I think the Plus is better because it has the micronutrients. Especially if you're using an inert substrate that doesn't have any nutrients at all.

Just looked at Lowes (thanks for the suggestion) and they have the 2 pound container of Plus for the same price as the 1 pound at Walmart (and it's in stock at my local store).

I think the purpose of the gel capsules or ice cubes is just to facilitate getting those tiny beads down into the substrate efficiently. The ice and/or gel will melt/dissolve pretty fast but hopefully by then you've gotten them buried so you won't have little balls floating around.

I don't think temperature is that big of a deal for aquarium plants. (Your fish will care long before your plants will) I think it's the lighting that matters (PAR values being the most important). Too low of light and your plants won't grow. Too high and, unless you start dosing some serious CO2, you'll have algae growing faster than your plants. (I've been leaving my cheap T5 Coralife lamp on for 12 hours the past week and am just now finding smudges of algae on my glass. For the few weeks prior I think I had the lamp on for 9-10 hours. Or maybe there just wasn't enough nutrients in the tank yet to feed the algae...)

Yes I agree! . Yeah probably will be using blasting sand, so no nutrients there.

Sweet! I haven't looked at either yet, I probably won't have time until the weekend. Nice to know it's cheaper at Lowes than Walmart. Kinda rare I think.

Ah ok. I think I'll do gel capsules. I'd be worried about ice cubes made of tap water. And I can get the capsules easy.

True the fish will care much more than the plants. Plants seem to have more tolerance hehe. I was told by my LFS that either the Ray II ($190) or the Fennix Planted + 24/7 ($120). Any ideas there?

I have diatoms in my betta tank. Had hair algae but I made the lights go from 12 hours on/off to 6-8 hours with lights on a day.

sapphire
may I just note that you need to be careful how many of the DIY root tabs you stick into the tank...too many can cause an ammonia and nitrate bump

jenmur
may I just note that you need to be careful how many of the DIY root tabs you stick into the tank...too many can cause an ammonia and nitrate bump

I am guessing they wouldn't go in everyday, yes? I know I have to still do research on how often root tabs are put into a tank. (I'm still looking up the plants people have mentioned!).

TexasDomer. How often do you use your DIY root tabs? I am guessing you have a larger tank? (40 gallons or more?) with live plants.

MaeKay. I haven't even thought about CO2 injections!?!?!

sapphire
also, piping rock has 300 capsules for $4.00 with $1.95 shipping

I have a 45 gallon, and I place about 4 root tabs every 3-4 months...buried as deep as possible near root plants but not on top of their feet...all my plants are swords (root plants)

jenmur
sapphire. Oh I like that price! . Just a dot com? pipingrock dot com? Would a couple inches be a good distance? Nearer? Further? I'd like an Amazon sword.

sapphire
yes a dot come....and yes a few inches is good but space out the tabs to like 6" away from each other...you want the roots to go after the nutrients so I have a few plants in 1 area and I put 1 tab in front of them about 2-3" away to make them both reach for it so don't feel each plant needs its own tab...I have a few different swords but the amazon swords grow tall, my tank being tall it works well..another thing with the amazons is I get baby plants off them to replant into the substrate in different areas...I have melon, ozelot and red flames as well....but I am also going for the South American theme in my tank lol

TexasDomer
I use Osmocote Plus, and I put them into gel capsules to get them into the substrate easily.

I've never had an ammonia or nitrite spike, and I don't have high nitrates after using these either. I use them in all of my tanks, a 1.5 gal, 10 gals, 29 gals, a 44 gal, and a 55 gal. No issues with fish or invert health in any of them. I have used quite a lot of root tabs in the past too, so when people say they kill their fish or cause spikes, I'm not convinced it's because of the root tabs. I've never had issues.

I use them because they have macro and micronutrients, and many ferts don't have both. I use them because it's easier for the root feeders to get all they need from the otherwise-unfertilized substrate.

jenmur
sapphire. Ok just wanted to make sure cuz I haven't heard of it (not surprising really) alrighty. Huh I didn't know there were different sword plants . I'll look up those species as well, if only for fun!

TexasDomer. So go for the Plus hehe. Yes I want my plants to get the stuff they need to grow. How often do you put the gel capsules in and how far apart do you place them? Specially with dead substrate like I will have.

TexasDomer
I put them beneath my plants (I don't distribute them evenly across the tank unless the entire tank is planted, no need to waste tabs where there are no plants) and I add more when I notice my plants aren't doing as well, usually around every 3 months.

MaeKay
I am guessing they wouldn't go in everyday, yes? I know I have to still do research on how often root tabs are put into a tank. (I'm still looking up the plants people have mentioned!).

TexasDomer. How often do you use your DIY root tabs? I am guessing you have a larger tank? (40 gallons or more?) with live plants.

In the reading I did it seems like you space them at least 6" apart every 3-4 months. I think I'll possibly do less than that. I'll let you know if and when I do it. And I'm a water testing junky so I will keep checking my parameters. (My 3 year old asked me, "Mommy, why do you keep making colors?" Because he only saw that I was mixing them up and then dumping them out. So I explained that the colors told me which chemicals were in the water. And if there were too many I needed to change the water. That explanation seemed to work for him. Now I give him and his sister little medicine syringes and cups and they make their own plain-water "colors". )

I'm not even going to get into CO2 for my tank. Another expense I don't want. So I'm keeping my light levels on the lower side and choosing plants accordingly.

jenmur
TexasDomer. Hmm I do plan on planting the back and sides mostly with a few smaller plants thrown in front and middle so should I place evenly if I am able to do this? Oh sweet on timing!

MaeKay. So far that what it sounds like! . Hmm, maybe I should look into low light plants that like water flow for Frazier??? That's cool that your kids are enjoying the "work" of fish tanks .

Yeah I'm not wanting the CO2 injections either! Easy care plants please! Hehehe. I am willing to get plant lights however.

sapphire
No CO2 for me either, another expense and there are plants that totally don't "need" it and will grow great without

max h
CO2 injection seems to take a while to learn what you're doing to keep everything stable in the tank from what I have been reading. I really don't feel like counting how many bubbles a minute are being released, or the added expense of the system.

jenmur
Hehe. No CO2 here for me! Hehe.
max h. You have to count bubbles???

max h
When you do CO2 injection you have too, so the tank isn't overdosed. Back years ago we use to have to count drops on the IV tubing chamber to get the flow right, now they have the silly machines. For diving as long as the guys are blowing bubbles they are good. One of the girls I flew with got the call sign of Bubbles after getting Decompression Sickness. Actually looking back at it most of my working career has been centered around bubbles in one way or another, I don't want to do that for a hobby.

jenmur
When you do CO2 injection you have too, so the tank isn't overdosed. Back years ago we use to have to count drops on the IV tubing chamber to get the flow right, now they have the silly machines. For diving as long as the guys are blowing bubbles they are good. One of the girls I flew with got the call sign of Bubbles after getting Decompression Sickness. Actually looking back at it most of my working career has been centered around bubbles in one way or another, I don't want to do that for a hobby.

Oh boy! True you wouldn't want to overdose the tank. Hope the girl was ok afterwards. Easy plants are our friends

sapphire
jenmur I liked this site for looking up plants tropica

jenmur
jenmur I liked this site for looking up plants tropica

Thanks! . I will write that down in my notebook for this tank.

TexasDomer
TexasDomer. Hmm I do plan on planting the back and sides mostly with a few smaller plants thrown in front and middle so should I place evenly if I am able to do this? Oh sweet on timing!

MaeKay. So far that what it sounds like! . Hmm, maybe I should look into low light plants that like water flow for Frazier??? That's cool that your kids are enjoying the "work" of fish tanks .

Yeah I'm not wanting the CO2 injections either! Easy care plants please! Hehehe. I am willing to get plant lights however.

All of my tanks are planted and I don't inject CO2 or use a CO2 substitute like Excel in any of them.

And you can do it evenly, but I find it easier and more efficient to place them below single or groupings of plants.

max h
Oh boy! True you wouldn't want to overdose the tank. Hope the girl was ok afterwards. Easy plants are our friends

She was fine, no more brain damaged then the rest of us that flew altitude chambers for a living. here in Pensacola we only flew to 35,000 ft, HawaiI we had 43,000 ft flights on an Air Force profile. No Taco Bell the night before. I do like the KISS method with plants.

jenmur
TexasDomer. Oh so I could put just one by a group of plants and that would probably be enough? Woot! Cuz open spots for fish are good too

max h. Good . Hehe. Taco Bell wouldn't be good for that perhaps. Frazier has managed to keep his Anubias alive, not me! Hopefully the fish in community tank do a good job as well

TexasDomer
Depends on the group. If you plant multiple stems of the same plant together, yes, one or two root tabs directly below them would be fine. However, I wouldn't put one root tab between two Amazon swords, for example.

jenmur
Depends on the group. If you plant multiple stems of the same plant together, yes, one or two root tabs directly below them would be fine. However, I wouldn't put one root tab between two Amazon swords, for example.

Fair enough, that makes sense. I was thinking just one sword plant. Hehe. But perhaps multiple Val and Sagittaria.

MaeKay
I just found the 2 pound Osmocote Plus at my Kroger for $9.99. Mama's making pills tonight!

max h
I just found the 2 pound Osmocote Plus at my Kroger for $9.99. Mama's making pills tonight!

That could be taken the wrong way just about anywhere else

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
grump299
Top Bottom