Heater position and placement

I3uckethead
You want it in a spot with good water flow to provide even tank heating.
I keep my heaters vertical, but that's preference. I have one at each end of the tank to provide even heat.

fishRfriends2
I was just reading a post about heaters maintaining the water temp too high for what they are set for. It has made me wonder if my heater placement is positioned ok? I have to keep turning the heater setting down to maintain 80 deg in my 5.5g Betta tank. Initially 3-4 weeks ago when I got heater, set it at 79 for 80 deg water. Now set at 72 for 80 deg water. Is it my heater location causing heater temp setting to be off? I am starting to think it is the heater?Heater is mounted diagonal under filter outflow into tank. Should I move heater perpendicular beside intake tube instead? Just trying to get even heat throughout tank. 25w Hydor Theo
Thanks.

Junne
Honestly, the heater is not the best of quality and probably contributing to the adjustment not showing exact temps. It could be the placement of the heater as well - you could try moving it opposite side of the filter and place your thermometer in the middle of your tank and see if that makes any difference.

If you are so inclined to get a more accurate heater, I would go with the Aqueon pro for accuracy

DecoyCat
HI Fishrfriends,
By the look of the photo your heater isn't fully submerged in the water, I believe that is dangerous and also it might be where you are loosing heat from it. If you still have the box it came in check that but all heaters should be fully under the water guage and all. I can't see any problem with the heater being near the filter though. As long as the thermostat is on the opposite side of the tank to the heater.

fishRfriends2
Junne, thxs. I have an Aqueon Pro in my 29 gallon and really like it. The lowest wattage in the Pro is 50w, Would that be too much for a 5.5g tank? Any other heater recommendations if 50w Pro is too much?
@SB, thxs also. The heater glass is always completely under water and half way up on heater plastic top portion.
I can lower heater and see what happens. Sorry, but I do not understand the loosing heat? The heater is set at 72 and water temp is 80deg and heater still comes on.

Guess bottom line is prob get new (better) heater, completely submerge it, experiment with placement and keep close eye on water temp... I will do whatever needed to keep my tropical fish Betta from being a hot tub fish.

DecoyCat
HI again,
I thought you might be loosing heat from the top of the heater because its not fully submerged in the water... I see you are from the USA so heater brands here in Australia might differ from ones you have there so I can't suggest a heater for you.
All I can say is fully submerge your heater top and all in the water

Junne
Oh you are right - might be overkill by 25 watts. I don't know that it can be used or not.
I don't know of another recommendation - sorry, I hope someone else can find an answer for you

As far as the submersion of your current heater, as long as the line on the glass has water over it, which it appears to be, it is fine and the entire thing does not need to be underwater.

fishRfriends2
Thanks again Junne and Sabrina Brook. Time to start doing new heater research again...

werwer2016
I just bought a 20 gallon tank that I'm starting to setup. It is a high one and has LED lighting. I was wondering if there is a special place that the heater has to go. I have a cut out on the cover and if I put it there it will be next to the pump but a friend told me that it has to be away from the pump. Is that right. Also does it matter how long I keep the lights on. I was thinking about 10 to 12 hours a day.

aaron0g
Heater near the pump is good, it regulates the tank better due to the flow, as for lighting it depends, that long may cause algae growth, depends on planting ect. How do you plan to cycle the tank, fish in or fishless?

werwer2016
Fishless, I added water today as well as a couple of chemicals, so I guess after a couple of days I'll test the water.

aaron0g
Have you added a source of ammonia if you can't get hold of ammonia then you can add fish food, it's just not as easy to control, cycling without a bacteria supplement will take a few weeks with a suppliment (and ammonia or it won't work) about 2 weeks, any questions we are all here to help

werwer2016
I don't have ammonia but I did add some bacteria supplement.

aaron0g
Without ammonia the bacteria will starve and therefore not worth adding, add some ammonia (or fish food) then a bacteria supplement then check levels every other day trying to keep that ammonia between 1 and 4ppm

werwer2016
Can you use the ammonia that you fid in the grocery store or does it have to be a special type.

aaron0g
As long as it's pure and has no other additional ingredients and remember add a couple of drops and then check the ppm on a test kit, over 4ppm and it will slow or stop the cycling process

werwer2016
Do pet stores sell the type of ammonia needed for aquariums. I checked at a local grocery store and they have ammonia but it has soap in it.

aaron0g
Dr Tim's Aquatics
DrTim's Aquatics Ammonium chloride for Aquarium
It's also got a dosing table, avaliable online and possibly is a fish store

Peacefantasy
I believe you can get pure ammonia at Ace Hardware, if you have one close by?

Corydora Pro
Hey, just a tip for placing your heater:

If your heater is FULLY submersible and states on the package that it can be placed horizontally, then I would recommend placing it horizontally neer the bottom of your tank (bellow your water changes). My heater is horizontal and under my filter intake and my tank is perfectly to heated.

The reason I advise people to place their heater horizontally and below the water change line is so that if you forget to unplug your heater during a eater change, it won't explode and potentially hurt yourself and your fish.

If your heater has to be placed upright, then just be careful and always make sure to unplug your heater before any water changes, and don't let your water drop too low.

Also, make sure to unplug your heater during all tank maintenance as a safety precaution, regardless of the angle it is at.

werwer2016
Thanks for the tip corydora pro and to the others for there advise as well. Right now all I have is water in the tank with some Stress Coat, Clarity and Bacteria Supplement.

sassymomma
I got my new heater yesterday

Today I picked up a new thermometer and put it on the opposite side of the tank, and I read 76degrees

The heater is a 100w jäger and I put it near the filter...but the filter is baffled

Should I set it on its side?

I think I set it to 80, but the instructions are in all different languages lol

01f7230f79d6f40b734a3010a4132f18.jpg
e76db742d1469a674ac2d8808391489c.jpg

This is the thermometer reading near the heater
dc4e6caaf19e9e65d36311bafba3f6ac.jpg

The unit does work, so I think it's just a matter of figuring out the best setting/location for it

Al913
You want it in an area where there is flow. It might help putting it near the airstone since the air stone will help disperse the warm water! Nice tank by the way!

TwoHedWlf
Anywhere that it's a bit hidden and has reasonable flow will be fine.

Also, you should be able to calibrate the dial so it reads the right temperature. Don't know about that particular model, but the older ones had a little button you pulled up which allowed the temp dial to rotate freely, turn it to what the water temp is and push the button back in.

sassymomma
Ok, I *think* I calibrated it, how is this placement?
fb2dd1793ebc5c53bc5d97e7ecf7585b.jpgaside from needing to bring the thermometer to where I can see it from my armchair

Maybe I'll plant some Val's in front of that monster heater lol

TwoHedWlf
Yeah, that's fine. It really doesn't matter much at all where you put it as long as it has a little bit of flow.

mdaquatics
You may have to actually calibrate your heater. Eheim Jagers have that red tab that is used for calibration. If you have never done it before, there are several videos on Youtube that can show you have to calibrate that brand of heater.

As for flow, you want to place it as close to the output of your filter as possible. Or generate circulation like you did with bubbles.

sassymomma
I think I have it now

I recalibrate it, then replaced it....instructions said place vertically

Then I dropped the airstone right under it for circulation

Tank is a steady 79 now

Gasher18
In my aquarium I have 3 glass walls and 1 plastic wall. Which wall should my submersible heater go on?

aquatickeeper
I would put it near the filter (whatever wall the filter is)

Gasher18
Ok that's where I have it now. I've just heard some reviews about it warping the plastic wall.

Gekco
It could if the heating coil is directly touching the plastic, otherwise it should be fine. Just keep a eye on it.

Junne
I would place it on the back wall, in the middle of your tank so that both sides will get even heat distribution.

Most heaters come with 2 suction cups to place on the top and bottom of the heater. This keeps the heater stable and not touching the glass ( and or plastic ) so it should be safe.

jenmur
I have a 55 gallon tank I will be using for a community tank that I hopefully will be setting up by fall. I plan on using the Aqueon adjustable heater so my tank will be at 74-76*. I will be using the AquaClear 110 HOB as well as a canister filter.

1). Should I just get one heater and place it by the flow from the HOB? Or should I get two heaters and place them on either end of the tank? I'm also guessing I should place the output hose from the canister by the HOB

2). They have a 150w heater rated for up to 55 gallons and a 200w heater rated for up to 75 gallons. Which one should I get?

TexasDomer
1. One or two is fine, depends on your preference! Two might be safer. You don't have to put the output from the canister by the HOB.

2. You want 3-5 watts per gallon, though I always go a bit higher just to be safe. I use a 300 watt for my 55 gal, so I would recommend a 200 or 300 watt (total, across 1 or 2 heaters) for your 55 gal.

jenmur
1. One or two is fine, depends on your preference! Two might be safer. You don't have to put the output from the canister by the HOB.

2. You want 3-5 watts per gallon, though I always go a bit higher just to be safe. I use a 300 watt for my 55 gal, so I would recommend a 200 or 300 watt (total, across 1 or 2 heaters) for your 55 gal.

Safer is good I think! Oh I don't? If I put it on the opposite side from the HOB it won't mess badly with the fish? Cool.

Alrighty. I'll probably get two 150w heaters then. With two heaters on opposite ends where would I put my thermometer?

MaeKay
I have a 55 gallon with a Marineland 220 canister filter. I got a 200 W Eheim heater and that side of the tank was consistently 75 degrees but the opposite side of the tank was 72 degrees. I moved the canister intake hose to the cold side of the tank, hoping to stir the water more but it didn't seem to help. I had a spare 50w heater laying around so I installed that on the cold side and now both sides are consistently 75.

I didn't want to buy two 150w heaters and based on some advice here thought the 200w would be sufficient. It wasn't. However, the Eheim heaters, that are highly recommended, are HUGE and I don't think a 300w would have fit upright in my tank.

Here's my current setup that seems to be working.
8481e0ecdacc97dfa6a5fb369cceda27.jpg

TexasDomer
Safer is good I think! Oh I don't? If I put it on the opposite side from the HOB it won't mess badly with the fish? Cool.

Alrighty. I'll probably get two 150w heaters then. With two heaters on opposite ends where would I put my thermometer?

It shouldn't mess with them! I like to put the output of my canister filter on the opposite side of my input, but you can also put them on the same side and put the HOB on the opposite side.

And you can put the thermometer in the middle to be most accurate, or you can keep it on the side and move it to the middle when you need to check it.

Many heaters can be laid horizontally in the water, as well.

jenmur
MaeKay. Hmm that sounds like two heaters are definitely worth it. Your tank looks very nice! I like the decorations . I haven't seen any Eheim stuff in stores here, and I use an Aqueon 100w in my betta tank. Don't you have to calibrate those heaters?

TexasDomer. Oh good! I was concerned because I am debating a Gourami. I was thinking have the HOB on one side and also put one of the hoses from the canister on that side and then on opposite side of tank put other hose.

In the middle sounds good . I don't mind doing that. I tried laying my betta tank heater horizontally and it kept falling down!! So I have it set at a 45* angle. So far it's working!

MaeKay
MaeKay. Hmm that sounds like two heaters are definitely worth it. Your tank looks very nice! I like the decorations . I haven't seen any Eheim stuff in stores here, and I use an Aqueon 100w in my betta tank. Don't you have to calibrate those

I got the Eheim on Amazon for $30 and I have prime. If you are in the US and have Prime Amazon is often cheaper than the box stores. Actually, even the box stores' online prices are cheaper occasionally. I always look online before buying something in the store and then show them at the register.

Thanks for the compliment on the decorations! It looks way better this week. We've had it up for a month and oh my it was ugly before. But we're learning.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
grump299
Top Bottom