Heater Placement And Other Questions Question

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by loneminx, Apr 19, 2019.

1. loneminxValued MemberMember

I have an aqueon pro 100w heater. Apparently aqueon recommends it be used in the vertical position.

In order for it to fit in my 10g that way it basically touches the sand substrate. Is this okay? Or should I just do it horizontal?

And then how close to the filter should it be for the sake of water flow?

Closer to intake or outtake?

This feels so complicated and I know it shouldn't be, I just want to get it right!

2. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

I would place the heater semi horizontally and not have it touch anything (sand included) to keep it from potentially malfunctioning (it most likely won’t but better safe than sorry). Try to place it closer to the outtake to distribute heat evenly.

100watts for a 10 gallon is kind of drastic no? What are you going to keep in the tank that requires so much wattage?

3. loneminxValued MemberMember

Thanks for the response. So like... diagonally?

It's drastic because my house is rather cold in the winter and I need the watts for the 15 degrees above room temp (technically it should only be 12 or 13 at most) - just being cautious.

I am considering snail/s, shrimp, and betta currently.

4. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Yes, diagonally. Ah ok makes sense. I believe the aqueon pro has an automatic shut off so it won’t cook your livestock and your 10 gal would be perfect for shrimp, snails and a Betta. Post pictures when you have it all set up! We love seeing photos on fishlore! :)