Heater Placement And Increasing Oxygen Question

1. FireflySky Member Member

Not sure if this is the right place for this question.. but figured this is kind of a rookie question, well 2 really.

First question is about heater placement- I currently have a 150w in my 40g placed horizontally under the intake near the bottom. Thought this would be sufficient, but now I'm thinking about placing a 2nd heater (also 150w) as a backup. It's pretty warm right now, but noticing the heater light is on a lot so maybe a 2nd would reduce some of the strain. My question is kinda silly, but how/ where would I put the 2nd heater? I liked the horizontal position, but I don't think I should stack them? Would they be ok vertically on either side of the tank, or is there a better option?

My other question is about increasing oxygen, and whether or not it's necessary. Right now I'm only running an AC70, but it was suggested to me on another forum that I would need to add something for more oxygen. Is the filter alone enough, or should I add something? I have a spare AC30 and a Fluval powerhead (also rated for 30g) but I don't know if it's necessary or if they're too under powered? I'd like to keep things as uncluttered as possible, but I also want to start off right.

2. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Heaters should ideally be in areas of high flow, it doesnt matter if you stack them or not, as long as there is flow it will be fine. Surface agitation is the main way of promote gas exchange between water and the air, therefore oxygenating it. Depends on the species you keep. Some of our fish come from calm streams or lakes while others come from very fast flowing rivers. If your fish come from flast flowing rivers I would definitely add a powerhead, aim it a bit at the surface so that it makes riples. IME most fish (we already know the exception - fish from flast flowing rivers) do fine with just the filter.

3. FireflySky Member Member

I was looking into new world cichlids, would just the filter be ok for that? I like to keep the waterline closer to the rim so I'm not sure if that's enough surface agitation?