Heater Over Background

bettaf1sh 7789

Valued Member
Reaction score
I just upgraded my hermit crabs from a 20 tall to a 20 long and I put background along the back and sides of the tank, I’m wondering, when I put the UTH on the side, should I put it under the background or can I put it over the background? The UTH has no adhesive and I’ve used it on multiple tanks, I just tape it, I’ve already got it taped over the background and it’s staying on fine. It’s pretty old, so nowadays it doesn’t get super hot, definitely not hot enough to come anywhere near burning my skin, so I don’t think it’d melt the background, so would it be an issue to just put it on top?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bettaf1sh 7789 said:
I just upgraded my hermit crabs from a 20 tall to a 20 long and I put background along the back and sides of the tank, I’m wondering, when I put the UTH on the side, should I put it under the background or can I put it over the background? The UTH has no adhesive and I’ve used it on multiple tanks, I just tape it, I’ve already got it taped over the background and it’s staying on fine. It’s pretty old, so nowadays it doesn’t get super hot, definitely not hot enough to come anywhere near burning my skin, so I don’t think it’d melt the background, so would it be an issue to just put it on top?
That's hard to answer without knowing what your background is made out of. And pictures of how you've set it up would help.

bettaf1sh 7789

Valued Member
Reaction score
Momgoose56 said:
That's hard to answer without knowing what your background is made out of. And pictures of how you've set it up would help.
Just the standard background roll stuff you find at petco. I went ahead and plugged the heater in last night, and no issues, so I think it’s probably fine

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If the background is a plastic material like most aquarium backgrounds that come in a roll, then you can easily putt the heater over it, those heating pads don't normally get hot enough to cause damage, and if you have a quality brand, there shouldn't be any electrical issues either.

bettaf1sh 7789

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fanatic said:
If the background is a plastic material like most aquarium backgrounds that come in a roll, then you can easily putt the heater over it, those heating pads don't normally get hot enough to cause damage, and if you have a quality brand, there shouldn't be any electrical issues either.
I had it on there for a while with no issue, I moved my hermit crabs from the 20 long to a 40 gallon though, so the heat pad is stuck to the glass there, but I’ll likey put another heat pad over the background for the frogs I currently have in there. The only issue I had was getting tape to stick, but I found duct tape and electrical tape worked well.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom