Heater or no heater? Your opinion.

1. Legures Member Member

I had to quit fishkeeping for a while and everything in my 20g was un-cycled.

So my 20g goldfish tank has been running for 24 hours and I plan to use TSS to cycle it.

The thermometer says it was about 73 degrees with the heater WITHOUT the light.
    The tank was about 65 degrees without the heater and WITH the light.

The tank is for one fantail goldfish and I was wondering which temperature would be better. It seems like it's too hot with a heater and too cold without it. :;fru:;fru

What would you do? Also with my TSS would you recommend me putting it in before or after I put in my fish.

Thanks!

2. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Read the directions. It's very precise and you must follow the directions to the "t" in order for this to have any possibility of working for you.

3. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

My unheated goldfish tank stays around 72 degrees. Is your house really cold?

4. Legures Member Member

I don't think my house is really cold. It fluctuates from 60-70 degrees.

I turned off the heater and the temperature is about 70 degrees right now.
    I put in the tank water (the water was all the way to the cold side of the faucet) yesterday. Now I'm wondering if the water was too cold to begin with and it raised to 70 OR if the heater hasn't cooled down all the way... Hmm.

5. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Goldfish are temperate fish, they adjust to temperature swings. I wouldn't worry about it.

6. Legures Member Member

I read (somewhere) that too much temperature swings cause stress and make them prone to diseases. Would it still be okay?

7. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

I have goldfish that stay outside year round here.
    Human comfortable temperature are just fine for goldfish.
    I see no need for a heater.