Heater (or Lack Thereof) Help

1. BHK3

BHK3 Well Known Member Member

My 150W Aqueon Pro heater seems to be on the fritz in my 26G tank. It's been working fine for the last two years and then all of a sudden the unit shows that the water is at the set temperature (78º), even though it's actually testing at 70-71º (room temp). In the tank I have 14 Neon Tetras, 2 Metae Cories, 2 Oto cats, 7 amano shrimp and a couple assassin snails. It looks like most of these species have 70-72º for the low end of their recommended temp range.

This weekend I'm setting up my new 55 gallon tank (to fix the stocking issues in my current tank!) and my new 300W heateris supposed to be here Wednesday. My question is which would be better for everyone in the tank: leave them at room temp until this weekend when I'm ready to move them into their new tank, or put the 300W heater in the tank as soon as it arrives to get them warmed up? I know it's technically too strong of a heater for the tank, but would it be better short term than the lower temps?

Thanks for any advice!

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

They'll be fine at 70-72 F. 78 F is too high for those fish, actually.

Sounds like you have some stocking issues, if you'd like to discuss them :)

3. OP
    OP
    BHK3

Thanks for your reply! That's a big relief. I actually realized as I was looking at their temperature ranges this evening that 75-76 would probably be more appropriate going forward. Would you agree with that?

I'm actually moving them all into the 55 gallon tank this weekend specifically to fix the stocking issues. I'll be increasing the cories and otos to at least 6 of each. Beyond building those shoals up, do yet you see any other concerns? I appreciate your feedback!

4. TexasDomer

I would even aim for 72-73 F.

That was the issue! But I would do 10 of each :)

5. OP
    OP
    BHK3

If I did ten of each in addition to the neons, shrimp and snails, do you think I would still have room for one or two centerpiece fish (species TBD, but something that would get along well in a community tank)?

6. TexasDomer

Yes, and I think you'd still have room for another mid/top dwelling schooling fish, as you only have one currently.