Heater not working?

TheDon

My tank heater is not working... it is a 150W model.. the instructins say to fill with water until the water line mark on the heater is covered.. well how can I when the line is equal with the top of the tank???

My tank is slightly off level... yea.. took me a full tank to figure it out.. only a 1/4 inch difference between the high and low.. so its in the lower end... still not working.. if I tap it .. it comes on but then goes out.. should I return it and find a better one.. It is a generic 20$ one from petco

yea.. it sucks.. I just read the reviews onpetco .. It is pretty crappy.. I'll return it thursday and get my free filters as well

Advertisement
What is the temp of the water in the tank? as for the water line, just use the water height at the spot where you put the heater.

Advertisement
its at a nice 82.. for the nitrogen cycle..

this heater isn't submersible... I'm going to see if I can exchange it for store credit

For $20, you can get an EXCELLENT 150W submersible heater online. You can get a very good one for even less than $20 online.

its at a nice 82.. for the nitrogen cycle ... this heater isn't submersible... I'm going to see if I can exchange it for store credit

Definitely get a good submersible one. Do it while your tank water temperature can maintain itself within 75 - 82 F without a heater. This gives you extra time to get another heater.

howcome you get free filters?! I want some :-*

I bought a Penguin 350 and the tag on the shelf said buy this and it get 3 free filters.. but they were out so thursday I will go , return the heater which is kinda working now... but I want a better one... and get my filters..

Advertisement
What is your Room temp?
Without a heater the tank will be the some temp as the room it is in.

What is your Room temp?
Without a heater the tank will be the some temp as the room it is in.

it varies.. at night it can be 70F or slightly lower or like 85F...

Just realized my heater is not working in my tank. To late to get a new heater to night. I have a 10 gal with 1uppy, 1zebra danio, and 1 cory cat. Do ya all think the fish will make till tommorrow night or are the rest of the fish goners. No the tank did not get finished cycling yet. So the ammonia is still at .25-50 with water changes and prime. the temp in the tank is alredy 68.
Thanks
Tina

Pour some lukewarm water in from the tap before you go to bed. The danio and guppy will probably be ok, not sure about the Cory.

It's already dropped 7 degrees? Can you get to a walmart tonight?

Other that that I would add water that's a little warmer than it is now and continue that slowly bring the temp up over the course of a few hours so as not to shock the fish. Also, wrap the tank in blankets.
I know it's late and that'll take time.

Also wait for some other opinions. Good luck.

Advertisement
Try putting a hot water bottle against the tank.
not too hot, 90f in the bottle should be ok as it will cool in time.

You now the tank did not seem right last night but the light was on on the heater, I am thinking it may hve been off since yeterday. I am soo worried about cycling I am not paying att. to something this simple. And wally world is 1/2hr 45min away and we are in the middle of ice storm. Guess will wait see how they make it through the night. They looklike they are jist resting. like the fish in the outside pond just hovering at the top.

Oh, be careful with the ice storm.
I like Peter's idea about the hotwater bottle. I'd still wrap it in blankets.
I wonder if a heating blanket would work?

I hope you get a heater in time, when my tank was stocked with only guppies and mollies my tank temp reached 50 F and they were fine. Hope that makes you feel a bit better

Just got the new heater in and all seems well. I did not lose any fish. I guess this shows that you should always have a bck up plan.
Tina

Tina,
That's great news!
Glad it all worked out for you and your fish.
We buy heaters when they are on specials and keep them for spares.. or when MTS hits.

My story is my heater blewup and blew the breaker last Saturday night. And the fish store was closed on sunday!!! The heater had moisture in it, it was new and bein an idiot I didnt think nothin of it!!! I got a new heater with a temp control box that is mounted on the wall!! Paid $55 for it but is awesome!!! But the tank temp didnt drop below 72-74, I turned up the thermastat in the house!

Last edited by a moderator:
I find desk lamps work for quick heating needs The ones that are 20W and are hot to the touch...put a few pointed at the water or tank and they'll heat the water right up you have to be careful and monitor the temperature or else you'll cook the fish though I did this with my 2.5 gallon snail tank as a quick fix for a broken heater

Advertisement

I am so grateful for this site right now. I just bought my first fish today (4 golden barbs) and now I don't think my heater is working either! It has been on for 2+ hours and the water temp is not even up to 70 yet... The fish are still in the bag.

Jess

I am so grateful for this site right now. I just bought my first fish today (4 golden barbs) and now I don't think my heater is working either! It has been on for 2+ hours and the water temp is not even up to 70 yet... The fish are still in the bag.

Jess

Is the light on, on the heater indicating that it is heating? Or have you touched it to see if it workin? I just read on their temp range: 64-75

I have a glass submersable heater in my 10gal, It's been there for only a month. It automatically keeps the temperature at a nice 78F but I noticed that the temperature is down to 72F! Is something wrong with the heater? This happened to my 29gal adjustable heater a while back.... Even on the highest setting, the tanks temp only read 74F... When I used to keep it at 78-80F...

Okay, the tag on it says 50 Watts(my 10gal heater).
And just for the sake of it, my old 29gal heater said 100watts.(I don't know why I kept it)

We just got a new heater for the tank because the last one got fried....I forgot to unplug it when I took it out... But this new one I got was working perfectly fine until now....

Maybe you should check it for cracks or damage to the circuit, it could be that it's not connecting as it should. Or maybe you have a faulty thermometer?

Well, I can't check now, Jazz band Festival, But when I get back I'll look at it.

Well, when I went to look at the heater for any cracks and such as you described and, the temperature, which was once a cold 72, is now up to 75F! I guess it's going back up. Anyone know why it dropped down to 72 then? It's a preset heater, but I haven't had problems with it before....

Advertisement

Ready to start cursing here. Its back to 71F. I think that its getting cold at night(it's almost 12 in the afternoon though). Proboly something to do with daylights savings OR my dad is really cranking up the AC at night. Any suggestions? I would do a towel, but it migth catch on fire because it'll be sitting on the power strip. I don't want my fish to be THAT warm lol.

I think its safe to say the heater is dead and time for a new one...depending on what fish you keep in that tank, id keep a good eye out for ich and other issues as continuous changes in temp is major stressful and a big cause for disease

Well, I have two platies and a lonely neon tetra. Should I move them to my 29? I just introduced 6 zebra danios to the 29 friday though, and I really don't want to call it quits on my 10 gallon heater. I don't have anymore money to get a new heater! Arg...why do these stupid things keep dying on me... And I can tell my platies are stressed because they hide when I go up to the glass to feed them.

EDIT-
New Problem:
My parents want my ten gallon gone as soon as possible, so I can't get a new heater. Don't worry though! The tank won't be going away, just, in temporary storage... It'll be a betta tank later.

So I have a male dwarf gourami and 4 rosy barbs (will be swapping for cherrys) and my heater won't work!
I've been trying for a while but whenever I try to put it on the right temperature it just clicks off? So I have it on a higher temp (30°C) and it's working fine. Is it just the lower numbers that won't work?
And it's been going fine for a few days but it clicks off while it's still cold? But then today it turned off completely and will only work for 30°C and up!
I'm really confused!

What is your room temp? What size is the tank? What is the wattage of the heater?

What is your room temp? What size is the tank? What is the wattage of the heater?

Room temp would be about 20°? Not entirely sure. The wattage is 200. I have a 150 and a 25 as well (all second hand)

Can you give us measurements for the tank? Is the tank still heated with the 150w and 25w?

Can you give us measurements for the tank? Is the tank still heated with the 150w and 25w?

30" x 12" x 18". The tank has 2 filters (one is collecting bacteria from the older one) and the 200 watt heater.

Advertisement

What's the temp of the tank? Maybe it already hit the temp you wanted to set it on? (or the heater is not calibrated and "thinks" its at the right temp).

I just purchased a 200 w aqueon heater and the orange light isn't turning on and the water is in the 60 degree area it's a new tank what do I do?

I would take it back if its not turning on. Feel the heater and see if it is hot

Yes, return it. Sounds like its defective. Is it the PRO version?

Even if it is hot it's not working as advertised. Definitely take it back, those aren't exactly cheap

On the new one, let it sit a MINIMUM of 15 minutes in the tank water prior to turning it on.

whats the heat setting on the heater set at? try dialing it from its minimum to its maximum, see if it starts working. and yeah letting it sit first sounds good.

Just a few moments ago, I walked into my bedroom and I went to check on my juvenile betta and I saw that the thermometer read 102. The fish is fine, I took her out. What now?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
JamieXPXP
  • Question
Replies