10 Gallon Tank Heater not staying at 78 degrees

Sebsauce
Hey everyone
My girlfriend has a ten gallon tank with just one betta that she got! Her thermometer was was reading at 76 ish (she was using the tetra heater which stays at 78), so two days ago she got a new heater (top fin ch50) because she thought it was not working right. It still does not read ar 78 and she is worried her betta is being affected by it. She keeps her room at around 22 degrees.
also when I went to her house to test the water the ph was a little high around 8 ish but since then she got driftwood that will bring that down.

let me know if you have any ideas or help thatcan bring her peace of mind that her betta is fine
Thanks

jkkgron2
Maybe try replacing the thermometer? Also, a high pH is fine. I’ve kept bettas in tanks that have a pH of 8.2 before and they’ve all done well.

Sebsauce
jkkgron2 said:
Maybe try replacing the thermometer? Also, a high pH is fine. I’ve kept bettas in tanks that have a pH of 8.2 before and they’ve all done well.
Look how worried she is haha cute but Unnecessary

jkkgron2
Sebsauce said:
Look how worried she is haha cute but Unnecessary
That tank looks really nice! I would get a different thermometer though. A bad thermometer is never good and can be misleading if there ever is a heater issue.

veggieshark
Unfortunately, there are so many not so good heaters on the market. I have been dealing with the same issue in one of my tanks. Some of them have a slack, i.e., when you turn the adjustment knob in the other direction, it doesn't immediately take effect and you lose your reference point. I think I had this problem with a TopFin 15 years ago - I hope I am not confusing it with a similar brand - and their tech support confirmed the slack thing was by design (which was really annoying). With these sort of heaters, once I manage to adjust them to a decent temperature, I stop playing with them, and make a note like "this heater keeps a 10g at 23 degrees C" and use it if it fits my need. Other than that, I am afraid you have to buy a better heater.

You may want to invest in a digital thermometer, if you are like me and can't see the temps well on the other kind. You don't have to dedicate it to one tank, you can use it just when accuracy is critical. If you can afford, it is a good idea to test and adjust heaters in an empty tank, just filled with water (and a bubbler or a sponge filter) before trying in the main tank.

Sebsauce
veggieshark said:
Unfortunately, there are so many not so good heaters on the market. I have been dealing with the same issue in one of my tanks. Some of them have a slack, i.e., when you turn the adjustment knob in the other direction, it doesn't immediately take effect and you lose your reference point. I think I had this problem with a TopFin 15 years ago - I hope I am not confusing it with a similar brand - and their tech support confirmed the slack thing was by design (which was really annoying). With these sort of heaters, once I manage to adjust them to a decent temperature, I stop playing with them, and make a note like "this heater keeps a 10g at 23 degrees C" and use it if it fits my need. Other than that, I am afraid you have to buy a better heater.

You may want to invest in a digital thermometer, if you are like me and can't see the temps well on the other kind. You don't have to dedicate it to one tank, you can use it just when accuracy is critical. If you can afford, it is a good idea to test and adjust heaters in an empty tank, just filled with water (and a bubbler or a sponge filter) before trying in the main tank.
The heater does not have an adjustment knob, it only stays at one temp. plus she does have a digital thermometer so I am not sure what is going on. and is 76 really bad for bettas ? or is it not a big deal

veggieshark
Does changing the depth of the heater make a difference? Is it fully submerged? If you can verify that the thermometer shows correct, and the heater stays at 76 not matter what you do, I suppose you could return it.

I think the betta will be OK at 76, but higher would be better.

Sebsauce
veggieshark said:
Does changing the depth of the heater make a difference? Is it fully submerged? If you can verify that the thermometer shows correct, and the heater stays at 76 not matter what you do, I suppose you could return it.

I think the betta will be OK at 76, but higher would be better.
She has two heaters and just got a new one yesterday. she also tried to use a digital meat thermometer and it said the same thing

jkkgron2
Sebsauce said:
She has two heaters and just got a new one yesterday. she also tried to use a digital meat thermometer and it said the same thing
Is there good flow on the tank?

Sebsauce
jkkgron2 said:
Is there good flow on the tank?
she has it on a low setting I think for the betta

jkkgron2
Sebsauce said:
she has it on a low setting I think for the betta
I’m not sure where the heater is in the tank but I would move it closer to the filter to help spread around the heat.

Sebsauce
jkkgron2 said:
I’m not sure where the heater is in the tank but I would move it closer to the filter to help spread around the heat.
it is on the same size as the filter and I told her to up the flow a bit

jkkgron2
Sebsauce said:
it is on the same size as the filter and I told her to up the flow a bit
Sounds good. Let me know if it helps at all

AcornTheBetta
Sebsauce
AcornTheBetta said:
Sebsauce if your gf is looking for a new thermometer, here is the one that I use. It comes in a min order of two for just $1.34 (on sale) so you can have one too lol. What kind of thermometer does she use? If it's one of the strip ones, those can be pretty unreliable and can be affected by the room temp.
https://www.amazon.com/Marina-Float...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RAF7NH509SCPSK41J1WR
I don't think it is her thermometer because she used others to verify the temp. it is one of these one but not sure if it is from this seller https://www.amazon.ca/Zacro-Aquariu...s=pet-supplies&sprefix=thermo,pets,311&sr=1-6.

AcornTheBetta
Sebsauce said:
Hmm, that one looks good. All I can say is buy a high quality heater I guess. Your idea of turning up the filter flow was smart. Depending on tank size, she may need a bigger one, but this is the heater I use on my betta's 5g and it works like magic. Heats really well and is consistent. https://www.amazon.com/ViaAqua-50-Watt-Quartz-Submersible-Thermostat/dp/B005440HLO

Sebsauce
AcornTheBetta said:
Hmm, that one looks good. All I can say is buy a high quality heater I guess. Your idea of turning up the filter flow was smart. Depending on tank size, she may need a bigger one, but this is the heater I use on my betta's 5g and it works like magic. Heats really well and is consistent. Amazon.com: ViaAqua 50-Watt Quartz Glass Submersible Heater with Built-In Thermostat: Pet Supplies
Hopefully she can return the one just just got from the store. She's frustrated understandably

veggieshark
Have you tested fully submerged to the bottom vs submerged-to-the-sign cases?

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom