• put another heater on the other side

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • replace current heater

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other (tell me)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

windrunner9189

I have an aqueon 100 watt heater that's preset to 78 degrees. it's in a 20 gal tank, right by the filter output, and it's been there for 2 weeks. yet.. it has failed to keep the tank 78 degrees, like it should. the temperature keeps fluctuating, 75-77 degrees. this morning the temperature read 75 on both my digital thermometer and the little thermometer stuck to the side of the tank. it was somewhat understandable, considering I had the fan on in my room. for future reference, should I be alarmed about temperature fluctuations hurting my fish, and what should I do about this? maybe add a small heater to the other side? leave it as it is? try to return the current heater and get a new one?

Bumblebees

I have an aqueon 100 watt heater that's preset to 78 degrees. it's in a 20 gal tank, right by the filter output, and it's been there for 2 weeks. yet.. it has failed to keep the tank 78 degrees, like it should. the temperature keeps fluctuating, 75-77 degrees. this morning the temperature read 75 on both my digital thermometer and the little thermometer stuck to the side of the tank. it was somewhat understandable, considering I had the fan on in my room. for future reference, should I be alarmed about temperature fluctuations hurting my fish, and what should I do about this? maybe add a small heater to the other side? leave it as it is? try to return the current heater and get a new one?
I usually keep two heaters, one by the filter, and on on the other side. Also a 20g. One is a present to 78° they other is adjustable set at 84° my tank stays a lovely 80° if its COLD outside, it might drop a degree. Are you sure the heater is not faulty? Maybe warranty it, and try another? I have also found that if you use warmer water during a water change, And increase the tank temperature by a degree or 2 during your a water change, The heater will have an easier time KEEPING the temperature up rather than RAISING the temperature. (Also can do this using a heat pad, or heated blanket, CAREFULLY wrapped around the tank and CLOSELY monitoring temp until it is raised)

Always raise temp slowly. A degree for every couple of hours.

Wraithen

How cold is your room? That heater is going to have a tough time unless that room stays at 70 to 72 degrees.

windrunner9189

I usually keep two heaters, one by the filter, and on on the other side. Also a 20g. One is a present to 78° they other is adjustable set at 84° my tank stays a lovely 80° if its COLD outside, it might drop a degree. Are you sure the heater is not faulty? Maybe warranty it, and try another? I have also found that if you use warmer water during a water change, And increase the tank temperature by a degree or 2 during your a water change, The heater will have an easier time KEEPING the temperature up rather than RAISING the temperature. (Also can do this using a heat pad, or heated blanket, CAREFULLY wrapped around the tank and CLOSELY monitoring temp until it is raised)

Always raise temp slowly. A degree for every couple of hours.
I don't think I can warranty it without the tank itself, i'm pretty sure. this heater came with a kit, and I really can't take this whole tank apart to take it all back. unless that's not the case and I can take it back on it's own.
i'll try a water change soon. in the meantime ill see if there is a way to raise the temperature enough to get it to, maybe, 79, then ill do the water change. I have a heating pad laying somewhere that I might be able to use

windrunner9189

How cold is your room? That heater is going to have a tough time unless that room stays at 70 to 72 degrees.
about 66 degrees with the fan on. ouch. ill turn it off
edit: it's now 71 degrees without the fan

Dawn Michele

I LOVE the Aqueon Pro heater's. I ALWAYS use 2. One on each end of the tank. They do a GREAT job.

Tscott

Your heater may not be calibrated correctly and some heaters have a 2 degree variance that’s plus or minus so up to 4 degrees. For some fish this is ok for but most it is not. What I did for my 90 gallon is buy two cheaper heaters and set them to 80 degrees and then I bought a controller that they plug into that has its own thermostat and set it to 79 and you can adjust the range on it so I have two points to shut it off it the heaters fail as the cheaper ones tend to do

Wraithen

I would just get another 50 watt adjustable. Multiple heaters isn't something most of us skimp on. I run 2 300 and 1 200 in my 6 foot tank. Its cheap backup, especially when your room might be more than 10 degrees cooler than your tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fljoe
Replies
Views
kansas
Replies
Views
Fisch
  • Question
Replies