Heater needed for 10 gallon?

1. aquawolf Member Member

I know this will probably sound funny, but i was wondering if a heater is required in a 10 gallon tank. I am looking to set it up for my fry and the living room is always at a temperature of around 24-25 degrees Celsius which is the temperature my fish thrive at. I already have two 35 gallon tanks so I am trying to see if i can avoid spending money on another piece of equipment before i start this adventure. The fry are temporarily in two 2.5 gallon tanks.

Thanks

2. mg13 Well Known Member Member

I think heaters are a must, they are not "another piece of equipment" I think they need to be one of the first things put into a tank.

just so you know, I have read lots of reviews on bad heaters (not working, over heating, exploding, etc) So i would do research.

I really like your name by the way... lol

3. aquawolf Member Member

lol thank you :) i've called myself that for a while now on different sites and games :) and ya i usually get one I was just unsure if it would be stable enough without one because some say its ok without one, and others don't. It seems like one of those sizes where people debate about it unlike my other big tanks which needs one, no questions asked :p

4. mg13 Well Known Member Member

ya.. people will argue, its hard to find what is really the best...

lol

5. frogfan Well Known Member Member

Id say get 1 just to be safe if for some reason the room gets to cold the heater will maintain the heat in the tank it wont be on all the time probably not offten if your room is around where u want water temp but better safe then sorry

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

As for a brand and wattage, I really like the Aqueon Pro heaters. A 50 watt would be ideal for your 10 gallon. If your room's ambient temperature is ALWAYS at the same temp your tank needs to be, then you will never need a heater. The problems come if you turn off your AC/Heater during the day when not at home, or if you let the temp go up or down at night when sleeping. But if you always have a steady house temp within 3-4 degrees of ideal tank temp, then you won't need one. Seeing that you are in Canada though I imagine winters can be rough and you may want to invest in one for piece of mind.

7. aquawolf Member Member

ya its not so bad in the winter though because we dont pay for hydro etc so we always have the heater on to keep it warm at room temperature. Thanks for your info :)

8. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

I keep a heater even in my goldfish tanks. I like my fancies to be a little warmer anyway but the way I figure it, it guards against any sudden drops. Peace of mind. I like to keep the room cold and it's so much easier to warm up the water than cool it.

It's not going to help with price, but I'm a big fan of Cobalt heaters. The one for the 10g is, sadly, like $50, but they're great. They've all been really accurate for me and I love the way they look. I have them in all of my tanks. The way I see it, I'd be making myself crazy checking for temp stability without one.