Heater malfunctioning/ stopped working

alexk77

I just noticed now that my betta’s water is quite cold, ( 76F and my heater is supposed to be set to 79F) so i went and turned my heater up a tad about a half hour ago… light turned on and all seemed well. Just checked again, the temperature is the exact same. Turned my heater up to full blast, and no light. I’m very frustrated, this heater is only a few months old. i unplugged it and plugged it back in, it’s all connected to the same power source and everything else is working. It’s a marina adjustable heater for a 5 gallon tank. I can’t get heaters this small anywhere locally, so to get a new one i would have to order. Does anyone have any ideas on whether there’s a way to fix this, or is the heater toast for good?
Also, will my betta be alright if his water is a couple degrees lower than favoured for a few weeks? he seems his normal self right now.
Update: light turned on when i tried to adjust it again. I still don’t trust it. Seems to be acting strange doing random things like this. Will see in the morning if it’s done it’s job, hopefully i didn’t turn it up too high.

Rylan

Not sure about a few weeks. Does it get very cold where you live? 76 isn’t very bad. If it stays at 76 I believe he’ll be alright until a new heater arrives. The low 70’s is where it gets risky and where I would try to find the closest town with fish supplies or try to overnight ship a heater.

I found this thread that may help.
Thread 'My heater stopped working and I’m panicking'
20 Gallon Tank - My heater stopped working and I’m panicking | Heater Forum | 504252

edit: Also, what do you mean by “heater this small”? Physical size or watts? If you’re worried about too much wattage - I’ve used 100 watt heaters in small tanks (it gets very cold at night where I live and I don’t have heat for myself at night) and I find the extra watts helpful, even in a 5 gallon. Of course, there’s always a chance a heater can overheat, but normally I find heaters stop heating more than they overheat, so I always keep a spare around. I lost one too many fish to faulty heaters.

alexk77

Update: woke up and the temperature is the same as before :(
Not sure about a few weeks. Does it get very cold where you live? 76 isn’t very bad. If it stays at 76 I believe he’ll be alright until a new heater arrives. The low 70’s is where it gets risky and where I would try to find the closest town with fish supplies or try to overnight ship a heater.

I found this thread that may help.
Thread 'My heater stopped working and I’m panicking'
20 Gallon Tank - My heater stopped working and I’m panicking | Heater Forum | 504252

edit: Also, what do you mean by “heater this small”? Physical size or watts? If you’re worried about too much wattage - I’ve used 100 watt heaters in small tanks (it gets very cold at night where I live and I don’t have heat for myself at night) and I find the extra watts helpful, even in a 5 gallon. Of course, there’s always a chance a heater can overheat, but normally I find heaters stop heating more than they overheat, so I always keep a spare around. I lost one too many fish to faulty heaters.
I’m in canada so it is VERY cold in terms of outside! In terms of my house, in the tank the temp has stayed at a steady 76F
By small i mean both size and wattage, it’s a 50 watt and has done great until now. The big heaters won’t fit in this little 5 gallon :/
Thanks for the link, i’ll have to check it out.

Thinkin I’m gonna have to order a new one off of amazon. If anyone has any suggestions on what is a great small and adjustable heater (that’ll last me longer than 8 months *rolling eyes*) please let me know!

Redviper

Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Pro Aquarium Heaters​

Amazon stocks these as well. I've used them on small applications for a few years and enjoyed how sturdy they are.

alexk77

Found out the problem. because it’s so cold outside (-26 degrees celsius) lately, i’ve closed my blinds to try to keep the cold from my window out. The cold was still getting through, and since my betta’s tank is right near my window, my heater just couldn’t keep up with the extra cold coming through. I’ve now moved his aquarium away from the window temporarily for the winter, and the heater seems to be working just fine now :)
Very glad i don’t have to go out and buy a whole new heater!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• lyfeoffishin
  • Heater
Replies
Views
lyfeoffishin
  • FishSmart
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Grammywms
Replies