Heater malfunction. Need help!

lyfeoffishin

Okay so last week I noticed my tank was hotter then it should be. Heaters seemed to be working fine and read 79F. But I didn’t trust it so I took the temp with a infrared thermometer and temp was 88F I turned the heaters off for a few days and temp came down to 75F. They have since been back on set at 70F and the temp has stabilized at 78-79F (where I want it). I believe it’s just the thermostat on the heaters that is messed up but not sure.

Am I fine leaving them this way set at 70 to get 78-79 or am I playing with fire and waiting for a disaster?

MissNoodle

Whats the tank size and what's the heater wattage and model/brand?

lyfeoffishin

Sorry it’s a 55 gallon tank there’s two 100W heaters one on each side.

They are old (5+ yrs) vivaaqua titanium heaters.

Cichlidude

Just to help you...

Here is the table to help with what size individual heater you need. Delta T is the difference from the lowest ambient room temperature in the room to your desired tank temperature. Always get a heater larger than you think you need so just round up to the next nearest size.

Heater Guide.jpg

TankGeek

It's not worth playing around with, just buy new heaters.

sfsamm

If you're heater is malfunctioning replace it immediately. You are flirting with a dangerous game that will end eventually in am unpleasant or fatal manner for your fish.

Heaters can over heat, under heat or cause electrical shock or even electrocution. If its malfunctioning its not worth the risk its simply a warning that it is going to eventually continue its path and cause greater distress and or death. Today, tomorrow or next month....

lyfeoffishin

Okay looks like I’m in the market for new heaters then!

Thanks everyone

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
alexk77
Replies
Views
Koi_guppies
Replies
Views
JTW
Replies