Heater Making Clicking Noise

sylviepld

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a heater in my 75 gallon tank that is less than 1 year old. Lately I've been hearing a loud clicking sound coming from what seems to be my heater. I try to isolate the sound but it's difficult. The only other thing it could be is my canister filter. It comes and goes but when it is happening is has a constant rhythm. It clicks every 2 seconds or so. Is it possible for a heater to do this? If so what can I do about it?

Tony M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have an Aqueon Pro heater that does have an audible click when it cycles on and off. I’ve had it about 3 years now and it’s always done this.

It’s never done this every two seconds though. Yours maybe starting to fail. Should be under warranty if less than a year.

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sylviepld said:
I have a heater in my 75 gallon tank that is less than 1 year old. Lately I've been hearing a loud clicking sound coming from what seems to be my heater. I try to isolate the sound but it's difficult. The only other thing it could be is my canister filter. It comes and goes but when it is happening is has a constant rhythm. It clicks every 2 seconds or so. Is it possible for a heater to do this? If so what can I do about it?
If you get water in the dial, and the whole heater is not fully submerged. the water will boil.

sylviepld

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
leftswerve said:
If you get water in the dial, and the whole heater is not fully submerged. the water will boil.
I'm not sure what you mean. Is the dial supposed to be submerged as well? Is it ok to submerge it? I got a new heater today (under warranty) and I set it up with the dial out of the water although it did get wet. Will this cause a problem?

Tony M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Every heater I’ve used could be completely submerged, even horizontally.

Alexolotl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If this is happening every two seconds, get that heater the heck out of your tank. The thing could explode any day now if it is broken (which is highly likely) so I’d say don’t risk killing your fish and get a new heater.

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sylviepld said:
I'm not sure what you mean. Is the dial supposed to be submerged as well? Is it ok to submerge it? I got a new heater today (under warranty) and I set it up with the dial out of the water although it did get wet. Will this cause a problem?
What brand of heater is it? Does it say it can be submerged? I know that aqueon submersible will make that sound if it is not submerged but the dial gets water in it. As if, like if, you submerged it then decided not to.
As to whether that makes it or gives a hint it is going bad,,,,meh not sure about that. That has not been my experience speaking in terms of Aqueon Submersible.

UnderwaterGalaxy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sylviepld said:
With the new heater in place did the ticking stop? Dial sticking out of water is not a problem. There is usually a "minimum depth water line" on the heater. I've always had my heaters with the dial above the surface and never had a problem.

sylviepld

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The clicking stopped with the new heater. Big Al's replaced it for free under warranty. The didn't have the same heater in stock so they gave me a 400W instead of a 300W for my 75 gallon. I hope it's not too much!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom