Heater keeps switching on and off

Tetra27

Set up a new tank yesterday with a fluval M150 heater and after a while of being on steadily it keeps switching on and off every 10-20 minutes sometimes? Is that an issue or am I just being paranoid.

John58ford

That's pretty normal.
The heater turns on when it senses a temperature below a certain point.
It heats the water around it up to a certain point and then turns off.
Heaters in a low flow location will turn on/off more frequently, and heaters in a high flow location will turn on/off less frequently.

Tetra27

John58ford said:
That's pretty normal.
The heater turns on when it senses a temperature below a certain point.
It heats the water around it up to a certain point and then turns off.
Heaters in a low flow location will turn on/off more frequently, and heaters in a high flow location will turn on/off less frequently.

Thanks for that, nothing to worry about there then.

John58ford

Tetra27 said:
Thanks for that, nothing to worry about there then.
If you notice after a day or two that the tank temperature isn't up to where you want it to be, you can try moving the thermometer and or heater. Also, don't panic if the temperature settles a couple degrees off from what the knob says based on a reading from a tank thermometer. You can choose to trust either the heater, or the thermometer, or bring in a third party (hello Mr. BBQ digital thermometer) and settle the argument. Adjust accordingly :)

Tetra27

John58ford said:
If you notice after a day or two that the tank temperature isn't up to where you want it to be, you can try moving the thermometer and or heater. Also, don't panic if the temperature settles a couple degrees off from what the knob says based on a reading from a tank thermometer. You can choose to trust either the heater, or the thermometer, or bring in a third party (hello Mr. BBQ digital thermometer) and settle the argument. Adjust accordingly :)
I will take that on board :) at the moment I am just running everything and letting the sand from my cloudy water settle before beginning the cycle process in 2 days. Exciting times.

Betta'sAnonymous

Anither heater tip, if yours is fully submersible, i would put it near the bottom of the tank parallel to the bottom and near a filter intake. That way you don't have to worry about it frying if you forget to unplug it during a water change. Also don't have to worry about remembering if you plugged it back in.

Tetra27

John58ford said:
I will take that on board :) at the moment I am just running everything and letting the sand from my cloudy water settle before beginning the cycle process in 2 days. Exciting times.

DoubleDutch

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Anither heater tip, if yours is fully submersible, i would put it near the bottom of the tank parallel to the bottom and near a filter intake. That way you don't have to worry about it frying if you forget to unplug it during a water change. Also don't have to worry about remembering if you plugged it back in.
Most heathers need to be mounted vertically

Tetra27

DoubleDutch said:

I had a weird knocking noise that would happen every time the heater switched on, I fixed it by mounting the heater fully vertical and moving the suction cups higher up the filter.

Betta'sAnonymous

DoubleDutch said:
I will keep that in mind. Most of mine so far have worked fine either direction.

ForceTen

My Aqueon 300 watt instructions say to mount horizontally with the cord end up just a little bit.
My 40 gallon breeder is not very tall and mounting vertically would have the bottom of the heater in the sand. I guess it would not hurt being under a little sand at the bottom.
I just mount horizontally along the back with hardscape hiding it.

DoubleDutch

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I will keep that in mind. Most of mine so far have worked fine either direction.
I don't say they won't work, but a lot.of manuals mention vertical mounting.

Top Bottom