Heater issues

derpychicken

Recently, I've been noticing my water getting a bit too warm, so I went out and got a thermometer for the tank. it seems to be near 90 degrees, so I tried adjusting the heater, but I've found out that it doesn't really work no matter how far down I turn the knob, the thing seems to always go full blast. I don't know if I should turn it off or anything, as my tank has guppies and corydoras, and they seem to be a bit uncomfortable but not sick or too stressed. I don't have the most money to spend on the hobby, but if you guys have any suggestions or solutions to fixing the heater, they would be appreciated. Otherwise, I will get a new, working heater.

BigManAquatics

I would get a heater that holds it closer to 78 myself. Sounds like the thermostat in it is wonky and just keeps it running.

Upvote 0

Kjelli

I understand not having the money personally but if you could I'd advise getting a fluval heater for the tank. I had a topfin one that did that

Upvote 0

derpychicken

I understand not having the money personally but if you could I'd advise getting a fluval heater for the tank. I had a topfin one that did that
Yeah, mine is a topfin one, ill try to get a new one as soon as I can

Upvote 0

Kjelli

Top fin is known for the thermostat going out in it unfortunately

Upvote 0

ForceTen

Whats the ambient temp in the room? You could just unplug your heater if the room is warm enough.
Around here we really do not need a heater in the summer.

Upvote 0

derpychicken

Whats the ambient temp in the room? You could just unplug your heater if the room is warm enough.
Around here we really do not need a heater in the summer.
Starting to get warmer but the temperature inside still fluctuates as the parents dont like to use the thermostat too much, but it sits at about 70 during the night and maybe 80 at warmest during the day, should this be fine for my fish?

Upvote 0

Kjelli

I would still use a heater because that would mean the water would be around 68 at night

Upvote 0

Cawafuoshi

I bought a Tetra heater at PetSmart and it does work. Pre-set temp, green light for standby, red for heating.

Upvote 0

ForceTen

Starting to get warmer but the temperature inside still fluctuates as the parents dont like to use the thermostat too much, but it sits at about 70 during the night and maybe 80 at warmest during the day, should this be fine for my fish?
I would say you are fine. My thinking is not always popular around here as I don't take this hobby to seriously.
But if I had a heater that did not shut off, I would remove it until I could get a new one.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• gibsonfan2332
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views
JuDom
  • Question
  • tiktaalik