Heater isn't working...will my dwarf frogs be ok???

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by bizaliz3, Jan 11, 2013.

1. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

I got my new tank set up for my 3 dwarf frogs. The tank was cycled and ready to go, I just needed to get the tank to the right temperature. I put in the brand new heater and turned it on. Once the water got to 80 degrees, i tried to turn if off and it wouldn't turn off! I didn't want to overheat them...so i just unplugged it. We needed to get the frogs moved though! We put them in their new tank when it was still 80 degrees (to match the tank they were coming from) and I kept the light on all night to try to keep it from getting too cold. The temp this morning was approx 76degrees. (they all seemed to be ok....) Will they be ok in that temp for a day? I can't go exchange the heater until after work. What is the best temp for dwarf frogs anyway???

2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

The frogs will be good at 76 for their entire lives. Their temp range is 72-82.

3. Orion5

Orion5Well Known MemberMember

More people will chime in, but I believe they will be ok as long as you get your heater replaced before the day is over.

4. Cichlidnut

CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

76 is fine, as is 80. My frogs are are usually at 80F. What's bad for them is large temperature swings. Keeping it stable is important.

5. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

That is quite a large range!!!! So really, it is just a matter of keeping it consistant then, right? Heck, if 76 is just fine....I don't even need a heater!!!

6. Cichlidnut

But does it hold a steady 76 all the time, even at night?

7. Jaysee

None of my tanks are heated, including the frog tank. Most of the fish we keep have about a 10 degree temp range, and most people, for whatever reason, insist on keeping their fish at the high end of the spectrum.

If the temp was 76 in the morning, I think it's holding steady. But that's a good point - small tanks are susceptible to wider temperature swings. If the ambient air temp is held relatively steady, it's fine.

8. Cichlidnut

Amphibians are sensitive to large temp fluctuations. as long as stay pretty near to 76, you want have any problems.

9. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

I only started using the heater last night and I wasn't keeping a close eye on the temp before that. Right before I put the heater in, the temp was approx 76. I got it up to 80 and I unplugged it. By morning it was back down to approx 76. So it APPEARS to be consistent. A heater might be good simply to make sure it stays consistent....I am getting a free one anyway to replace it. So why not?? right? :) So with a 10 degree range for these froggies...what do you think they LIKE the best? warmer? or right in the middle? Just curious what you all think. thanks!!

10. throwthesand

throwthesandValued MemberMember

My two frogs (Larry and Jerry) stay at 76 all day, every day, and they are very active :) no worries.

11. Jaysee

I would use the heater to make sure that the temp does not drop too low. It doesn't sound like you need it for steady heating, but rather a safety net, so I would set it to like 73 or 74.

I think the middle is good.

12. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

I thought 80 was in the high range thats for sure. I wasn't quite sure what was the most comfortable for them, but since they were coming from an 80 degree tank, I needed it at that level for the move. But the temp swung on them last night by dropping back to 76. I hope it didn't stress them out to much! I love those guys!!

13. OP
    OP
    bizaliz3

It probably helps that my condo is so dang warm. I live in minnesota and we have had some pretty cold weather this year, including below zero a few times, and I STILL have not turned on MY OWN heater! It's crazy! So I bet it will never get too low. BUT, I like your idea of having the heater at a lower setting JUST INCASE there is a drop for some reason. I have one (I will by tonight anyway), so I might as well use it!

14. fishlover123456

fishlover123456New MemberMember

as long as it is not too could were you live they should be ok until you get a new heater