Heater Help! Sunsun Vs Aquatop Vs Hydor Vs Fluval Tronic

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by Culprit, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

Hey guys. Title says it all. MY first heater got water in it after 2 months and stopped working. It was a blue aqua at only 6 bucks.

Also, should I get 100W, 150, or 200 watt? Its a 20 long aquarium that will have blue rams so the temp will need to be go to at least 88-90

2. OP
    OP
    Culprit

Forgot to add that sunsun is also in the mix!

So sunsun vs aquatop vs hydor vs fluval tronic

3. OP
    OP
    Culprit

Anyone?

4. Beeman

Beeman New Member Member

I personally don't like to buy cheap non name-brand heaters since my fish's lives depend so heavily on them. Although its not on your list, I recommend the Aqueon pro heater. I like it because it has no glass and I have never had any issues with it in my tank.

5. OP
    OP
    Culprit

That is out of my price range... $30 is too much for me especially when everything else is cheaper except for the inlines.

Fluval and SunSun make good filters I know and I know people on here that use hydor heaters.

6. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

Brands are tough, because they aren't all international.
    I have had excellent results using Ebo Jaeger, which have apparently been rebranded as Eheim Jaeger. I've run a large fishroom for many years, and many heaters, and they have been the best here. Fluval tronics are also good, with a tendency to sometimes die, but with no fish soup malfunctions. Hydor, which I have not used, has an excellent reputation.

7. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

I have this on the way [​IMG] for my 60 litre saltwater tank id say you should get a 150watt though

8. OP
    OP
    Culprit

So the hydor would be good?

So, no to the aquatop, and probably no to the tronics because I don't want to just be throwing away my money on something that will die in a year or two.

What wattage should I get? With my first heater, blue aqua 100 watt, $6 (I know I know) it couldn't get the heat over 86. So I'm kind of leaning towards a 150 Watt. Its a 20 long.

9. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Or even a 200 watt if you want i buy most of my stuff 2nd hand never had a new tank but heaters are the one thing i buy new i did a thread in the funny stuff about this [​IMG] my gf said the brand translates to "boil your fish" in english so she ordered me the slim black one it will also look better as my aquarium has no sump.

10. OP
    OP
    Culprit

11. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

One factor of great importance is the gap between tank temp, and the room. I have a 250w in my 120 gallon. The wintertime room temperature is 68-69, and the desired heat is 72-73 (rainbows). Because the difference isn't huge, I am fine at that wattage.
    In summer, I turn the heater off.
    So your climate is a factor.
    Blue rams don't need 88-90. Natural habitat info puts them at 82f to 86f. So that takes an edge off.
    I'd consider a 150, but expect a 100w would do it.

12. OP
    OP
    Culprit

winter time heat is at 68 and heat will be kept around 80 to 82. I know they don't need that high but in case of ich. So you think 100 Watt? I think I'm going with the eheim. Its only 3 more bucks then the hydor...

13. Beeman

Beeman New Member Member

Unless your fish actually have ich you should not have temperatures that high. That will likely be the cause of ich. Increasing the temperature just means speeding up the life cycle of ich so you can quickly kill it once it falls off the fish, if you don't have ich currently in the tank or on the fish the only thing high temps will do is stress the fish and cause them to develop ich.

14. OP
    OP
    Culprit

No actually, I have german blue rams with ember tetras and bronze corys...

I meant I can go up to 86 if I need ich. So 100 watt or 150 on the eheim jager?

Anyone? I'm thinking 100 will be fine...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  15. OP
    OP
    Culprit

Eheim says 100 watt is good for 26 to 40 gallons. Thats what I'm getting. Will that be fine?

16. cjbart1009

cjbart1009 Valued Member Member

I keep my rams in 82f. I use a 100w aquatop heater. Been running for 3 years. But I do recommend the eheim. I'm switching all my heaters to that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice