Heater has condensation??

cichlidman

So I have a glass heater that is a year old in the top half it has a little condensation while heating. When unplugged it goes away.No visible water on the elements its in the upper half. used it to heat the water from 60 degrees to 78. Should I replace it?

Malcolm

IMHO yes, the seal must have breached for it to get moisture in there for it to condense so it is only a matter of time before the two old friends electricity and H2o get together and party.

cichlidman

ill put the cap above the water line for now thanks

Aquarist

Good morning,

I would also recommend replacing the heater as soon as possible to prevent electrical shock to yourself and fish.

Ken

CatfishJack

This is interesting as I've never had a heater that didn't have condensation inside it, and I've had Top Fin, Aqueon, and some other brands.

tunastrack

Yes replace it asap. Condensation is your first sign the heater is going to fail anyways. Right now Petsmart is having a pretty good sale on good heaters...

@Bone if your having condensation in your heaters then I'm not sure why. In all 9 of my tanks any that has ever gotten it has soon failed afterwards...

LyleB

In the mean time, before you replace it, make sure you unplug or turn off the power strip before you place your hand in the water. Good practice anytime, but particularly with questionable equipment. Better take a few extra seconds to be safe rather than sorry.

Jonez

I learned this the hard way. I had one in my 10 gallon that has let moisture in from the topside, causing the heater to overheat and crack. Luckily I caught it as it happened, and only had one fish in there, so I don't think she got too badly hurt (as she lived for another 2 years afterward).
Another thing I made note of, is that the "submersible" heaters shelf like is drastically reduced if they are full submersed. Not only does increase the risk of moisture getting in from the topside, but after having it submerged for long amounts of time, the heat adjustment knob eventually breaks off. This has happened to me 3 times in 2 tanks over the course of 3 years. I've since made it a habit to keep all my heater caps above water.

CatfishJack

tunastrack said:
Yes replace it asap. Condensation is your first sign the heater is going to fail anyways. Right now Petsmart is having a pretty good sale on good heaters...

@Bone if your having condensation in your heaters then I'm not sure why. In all 9 of my tanks any that has ever gotten it has soon failed afterwards...
Well, Petsmart gave me the top fin I currently have because the 29 gal Maineland kit I bought was supposed to come with one and did not. I am reading they have a lifetime warranty so I suppose I'll take it back tonight and get a new one!

cichlidman

tunastrack said:

Why does it disappear after I unplug it for a few hours?

Jonez

cichlidman said:
Why does it disappear after I unplug it for a few hours?
Because its not condensing any longer due to the heater acclimating to the temp of the water.

Warmer inside temp vs. colder outside temp = condensation.

cichlidman

Jonez said:
Because its not condensing any longer due to the heater acclimating to the temp of the water.

Warmer inside temp vs. colder outside temp = condensation.
Wouldn't any heater do that?

Jonez

No. Heaters are vacuum sealed. Once the seal is breached, then they will start condensing.
Think of a double paned window in which the seal has broken.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom