5 Gallon Tank Heater Gets Water Too Warm?

ClassicRockGuy

Aqueon 10W MinI Heater w/no temp adjustment or on/off light...........anyone in the forum have/had this heater? How did you like it? It's totally submergible and has no heat adjustment on it. Once plugged in, it doesn't turn off! It is for "up to 5 gallon tank", it says.

We have it in our Marineland Eclipse 5, 5 Gallon Hexagon Aquarium w/one male Betta inside. It was recommended by Petsmart when we bought the aquarium.

First, we live in a 2-bedroom "bungalow" type apartment in northeastern FL. Have been using it since middle of January and didn't really notice a hike in temp until last Thursday afternoon Feb 20. . It was a warm day outside with temp at 83, both patio door and window open, and 15W incandescent aquarium light on (for plants inside). Our aquarium light and filtration system is in 3 parts and fits over the entire top of the tank. Anyway, I took a glance at the water temp and it was almost 86 degrees! Being a Beginner, I didn't think about aquarium light heat, filter motor warmth or outside warmth adding heat to the water. Anyway, I immediately turned it off. The water temp came down to 81 degrees. It is now Monday Feb 24th and we haven't turned it back on. Unless our thermometer is wrong, our nighttime temp has been between 78 and 80 (aquarium light off). Wife and I touched the water last night and it sure didn't feel like it was between 78 and 80! It wasn't really cold, but seemed cool. We're getting a new thermometer today to make sure what the water temp is.

I've read reviews about this heater and some great, while others don't like it and say it warms the water to high Don't know if I should get another heater (Marina Submersible MinI 25w w/on-off light and temp adjustment which is $10 more than the Aqueon one). I think during our summer time here, I won't even need a heater in this aquarium!

Suggestions/Recommendations
Thanks

Drakkenfyre

Things only feel warm to you if they are approaching or exceed your body temperature. My tank is 78 degrees, and it feels cool if I put my hand in. I was working with cold water and rinsing things one day, and placed my hand in the tank, and man, it felt warm then! But that was just because my hands were cold.

If it were not for the fact that your lid/light/filter were one unit, I would say LEDs would be an option. They put out almost no heat.

Make sure your tank is not near a vent, or a window. Windows will especially cause you trouble because they will make algae grow, but I think you already received that advice in another thread.

Preset heaters have this problem. Sometimes they will warm your tank too much. There ARE smaller adjustable ones, you might have to go with one of those.

I cannot provide you with any recommendations because I don't use a heater that small, but stay away from Top Fin (PetSmart's brand) and the cheap Tetra heaters. Both have bad reputations for reliability.

ClassicRockGuy

Well, the light we have is an incandescent 15w that came with the aquarium. Actually, Marineland sells a florescent 10w as a replacement light. I don't get why they put an incandescent 15w with the aquarium and sell a replacement light that is 10w and florescent. I sent Marineland a e-mail asking them this, but haven't hear back. The Marineland 10w/florescent light (1) is $14 compared to 2 for $3 incandescent 15w at Wal Mart. When we get some extra cash, will get the 10w florescent light. Would be some less heat and better light.........I've read.
By getting another thermometer, we should know the exact water temp.......hopefully.

Lucy

People who live in warmer climates often have issues with small tanks getting to warm. As you noticed, the light can increase the temp as well.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Wickette
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Nickguy5467
  • Question
55 Gallon Tank Busted Heater
Replies
Views
StarGirl