heater for my betta tank

1. roseofsharon Initiate Member

At present I have a mini heater (7 watt) for my three gallon. The temps of our house maintain from 68 to 70 or so..I know these mini heaters only raise the water temp a couple of degrees...I have an outside the tank stick on thermometer...the two squares that are lit up are 71 and 75 degrees.

I also have a 10 watt pre set heater (78 degrees). If I change heaters, what is the best way? Do I have to remove the fish and heat up the water with the new heater, or do I just take out the mini heater and put in the new one? Or should I let things be. Fish seems fine...he's active and is eating/pooping.

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

do yo have more than one tank? you have posted in the saltwater section but your tank info says 3g betta tank?

3. roseofsharon Initiate Member

oops

sorry, I posted in the wrong area....

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

thats ok just was confused..which dont take much for me LOL ..I moved it for you :)

I use the submersible heaters in my smaller tank..but you can just remove the old heater and replace it...turn it up to 76F to start with and let it stand...it wont happen right away and will raise over time..which is best...bettas like anywhere from a consistent 76-80F

5. roseofsharon Initiate Member

heater question/ to switch or not

I posted in the wrong section earlier (saltwater)oops, a "senior moment":(:confused::-\

Anyway at present I have a mini 7 watt heater in my filtered, cycled 3 gallon betta tank. The ambient temp in our house is about 68 thru 70 degrees. It may get a degree or so lower at night. I have one of those stick on the outside thermometers on my tank. The two squares that light up read 71 and 75 degrees.

I have another heater I was thinking to replace the mini one. The new one is preset at 78 degrees. If I switch heaters do I need to take out the fish before replacing the heater or can I just take out the old heater and put in the new? Or should I just let things be?

present heater:
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12087

new heater:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21323

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I merged all your posts and moved them roseofsharon :)
    id use the new heater ..bettas like a warmer temp than 75 (the highest you are getting)
    fluctuating temps(by using the ambient of your house) isnt good for them..they like it more consistent

7. roseofsharon Initiate Member

ok, thanx for all your help & for putting my thread in the right place....

8. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Good Luck with your betta. BTW I love your screen name.........