Heater For Large Discus Tank?

Ewest

Setting up a 130g discus community that I need to crank up to 82 degrees. Typically id put two cobalt neo-term 300w in something like this but they are out of stock everywhere right now. Anyone have a good alternative that can keep temp steady and can be trusted with what will be 1-2 grand in fish?

Dechi

2x Eheims 300 watts connected to an Inkbird temperature controller. This will give you the stability you are looking for.

Buy the wifi version of the Inkbird, and make sure it’s the one made for fish tank (the probe is made so it won’t rust).

Upvote 0

Ewest

2x Eheims 300 watts connected to an Inkbird temperature controller. This will give you the stability you are looking for.

Buy the wifi version of the Inkbird, and make sure it’s the one made for fish tank (the probe is made so it won’t rust).
Inkbirds had mixed reveiws on a few vendors sites but people here seem to like them.

Upvote 0

Dechi

Inkbirds had mixed reveiws on a few vendors sites but people here seem to like them.

I’ve had mine for about six months now and honestly, I don’t know how I kept fish for decades without it !

Upvote 0

Ewest

I’ve had mine for about six months now and honestly, I don’t know how I kept fish for decades without it !
Since the ehiem have built in temp control, what do you set the built in temp to when controlling them with the inkbird?

Upvote 0

SotaAquatics

Agree, I'm personally a fan of inkbirds, have two of them, nice failsafe.

Set your heater 1-2 degrees above your inkbird range. Eheim would be at 83 degrees or so, then set 81-82 or just 82 on the inkbird. I have heard most eheims will need a little calibrating when you first get them though - not too hard, might want to check that the Eheim's 83 is actually 83 degrees.

Upvote 0

Ewest

Agree, I'm personally a fan of inkbirds, have two of them, nice failsafe.

Set your heater 1-2 degrees above your inkbird range. Eheim would be at 83 degrees or so, then set 81-82 or just 82 on the inkbird. I have heard most eheims will need a little calibrating when you first get them though - not too hard, might want to check that the Eheim's 83 is actually 83 degrees.
Thats what I assumed you would do but wanted to check. I was eyeing Ehiem's new Thermocontrol E since it is digitally controlled and has no mechanical components to wear out and physically stick on: Aquarium Supplies, Fish Tanks and LED Lights - Marine Depot

Upvote 0

SotaAquatics

Thats what I assumed you would do but wanted to check. I was eyeing Ehiem's new Thermocontrol E since it is digitally controlled and has no mechanical components to wear out and physically stick on: Aquarium Supplies, Fish Tanks and LED Lights - Marine Depot

Those look great, I have never used them before but rarely can you go wrong with eheim, digital seems nice taking out the mechanical parts as well, will have to look into these myself.

As you were a past reefer, I'm sure you are aware of a lot more gadgets as well then we are, did you ever use an APEX controller or anything like that? I don't know how practical or useful it would be for freshwater but I feel like it could be used for something, especially with a discus tank and how valuable those adult fish are. Or even the angels if you are going that route now.

Upvote 0

Dechi

Since the ehiem have built in temp control, what do you set the built in temp to when controlling them with the inkbird?

The temperature on the Inkbird is set at 26C (79F) and the Eheim heaters are set 1-2 degrees above that, so their internal control never has to kick in. The Inkbird takes charge.
I have heard most eheims will need a little calibrating when you first get them though - not too hard, might want to check that the Eheim's 83 is actually 83 degrees.

Yes, I agree 100%. Mine were both a pain to calibrate and I was having problems keeping the temperature stable. I was constantly adjusting them. I’ve had them in the past and they never failed but there weren’t hard to calibrate.

So I suggested Eheim because they are affordable and reliable, but they are very hard to calibrate and I would not recommend one without an Inkbird.

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

I’m using a hygger 500w with an ink-bird on a 125 discus tank set at 85. And a finnex titanium 300w with a aqueron 300wtitanum both controlled by a ink-bird and set to 84 on my other 125 discus tank. All 3 heaters are over a year old and the ink-birds are 6 months. All good .

Upvote 0

Ewest

Those look great, I have never used them before but rarely can you go wrong with eheim, digital seems nice taking out the mechanical parts as well, will have to look into these myself.

As you were a past reefer, I'm sure you are aware of a lot more gadgets as well then we are, did you ever use an APEX controller or anything like that? I don't know how practical or useful it would be for freshwater but I feel like it could be used for something, especially with a discus tank and how valuable those adult fish are. Or even the angels if you are going that route now.

Yeah so I never personally used an Apex since almost the whole time I was doing salt I was a college student I just never had the money. No doubt tho that an Apex could be useful for freshwater, especially on a high tech planted tank with expensive fish. As it pertains to this topic tho, it can control heaters and since it can monitor the power draw of things plugged into it, it can detect when a heater is malfunctioning based on abnormal power usage and automatically cut power to it. This will also trigger it to send a notification to your phone of the heater failure.

When I start the build thread for this planted 130 I will talk about how im applying some of the ideas and gadgets I picked up while in the reef world. For example I am strongly considering using a sump on this fresh tank as I see it offering many advantages over a canister.

Upvote 0

SotaAquatics

That's great! I will for sure follow this as you are a few steps ahead of me. I was able to pick up two 180s on craigslist for a great deal, and have a rebate to go exchange them for new due to some small bubbles in the silicone job. Then a basement remodel... could be looking at a year before I actually start setting them up but I will be going the route of a sump, high tech heavy planted and discus for one of them at least.

Absolutely curious about what reef tech you would think would be useful for something like that. Possibly setting up proper automated fertilizer regime, etc.

I didn't realize the APEX could detect all that, makes it even more appealing minus the price!

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Well for both of you being new to discus your approaching it the wrong way. Please start with a bare bottom tank. Plants and discus are not recommended. And I keep plants!! So much to discus! They are not normal fish. Check out the thread discus gang updates and mine on beginner discus keepers. Read a lot about discus.

Upvote 0

Ewest

Well for both of you being new to discus your approaching it the wrong way. Please start with a bare bottom tank. Plants and discus are not recommended. And I keep plants!! So much to discus! They are not normal fish. Check out the thread discus gang updates and mine on beginner discus keepers. Read a lot about discus.
Ive wanted them for years and have done tons of research into them, both before I went to salt water and now that I am back in fresh water. Discus and a community planted tank is always a hot topic, purists will always say dont do it, casual keepers say its fine..... IF I do discus ill be buying full grown adults because growing them out in a planted tank wont work out well, this I know lol. I also have no desire to grow out juveniles in a bare bottom right now. So since I dont wanna fork over the money for adults I am likely switching to angels

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • NicksFishTanks
  • Heater
Replies
Views
ForceTen
  • Question
Replies
Views
Dkapp