Heater for Betta Tank

Bettaeverything

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi,

What do you recommend for a heater for a 5-gallon betta tank? I've seen the tetra HT Submersible heater but the review is bad and it had overheating issues. Not sure what to go with. Any recommendations would help. Thank you!

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Just a regular set temp heater at 78° should be fine. Like a 50w . All heaters are set at 78° no matter how much the watt is. You can get an adjustable heater as well but I dont see necessary for a 5gal

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
When we had our little 5.5g tank set up, I found a 50w Aqueon adjustable heater on sale for $14. It worked perfect.

A "larger" heater won't heat up the tank too much, because it's still controlled by the thermostat.

Aqueons have good warranties also.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I vote Aqueon or an EheI'm Jager. Both nice heaters

jasmine-smith

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don't like preset heaters because if I don't monitor mine the water goes up to like 82 or 83. I got a 20 dollar preset heater off of amazon though and an adjustable Marineland one off of Chewy. Tip for Chewy: visit the site and wait a few days. I get ads afterwards that offer the heaters for like a few dollars cheaper.

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Aqueon is my favorite, but DON’T get anything smaller than their 50W. Their “5 gallon” ones and smaller will stop working after the first time you unplug them. I’ve tried them so many times and it happens every time.

Aqueon 50W preset:
Aqueon 50W adjustable (Nice in case you ever want to change the temp, but a couple dollars more):
Amazon.com: Aqueon 100528680 Adjustable Aquarium Heater, Black,50 W: Pet Supplies

OP
B

Bettaeverything

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gorkem said:
Hi,

My suggestion for you;
Thank you so much, I will look into this more and hopefully they fit into the fluval 5 gallon tank

Islandvic said:
When we had our little 5.5 gallon tank set up, I found a 50w Aqueon adjustable heater on sale for $14. It worked perfect.

A "larger" heater won't heat up the tank too much, because it's still controlled by the thermostat.

Aqueons have good warranties also.
Thank you, I will definitely check that out.

TWiG87 said:
I vote Aqueon or an EheI'm Jager. Both nice heaters
Thank you!

jasmine-smith said:
I don't like preset heaters because if I don't monitor mine the water goes up to like 82 or 83. I got a 20 dollar preset heater off of amazon though and an adjustable Marineland one off of Chewy. Tip for Chewy: visit the site and wait a few days. I get ads afterwards that offer the heaters for like a few dollars cheaper.
Good to know. Thank you vm

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bettaeverything said:
Hi,

What do you recommend for a heater for a 5-gallon betta tank? I've seen the tetra HT Submersible heater but the review is bad and it had overheating issues. Not sure what to go with. Any recommendations would help. Thank you!
Hello! Aquarium Co-op has a 50Watt heater that they sell, but I don't know if they still ship right now due to the pandemic.

OP
B

Bettaeverything

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dewclaw83 said:
Aqueon is my favorite, but DON’T get anything smaller than their 50W. Their “5 gallon” ones and smaller will stop working after the first time you unplug them. I’ve tried them so many times and it happens every time.

Aqueon 50W preset:
Aqueon 50W adjustable (Nice in case you ever want to change the temp, but a couple dollars more):
Amazon.com: Aqueon 100528680 Adjustable Aquarium Heater, Black,50 W: Pet Supplies
Will do. I heard Aqueon is good brand and I will make sure to get at least 50 watts. thank you.

Gel0city said:
Hello! Aquarium Co-op has a 50Watt heater that they sell, but I don't know if they still ship right now due to the pandemic.
Checking it out now, thanks for the tip!

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bettaeverything said:
Checking it out now, thanks for the tip!
Sorry my bad, just checked, seems like they sell only a 25Watt heater. Aqueon is another good heater company

tum0r

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have found that most heaters designed for 10 gallon or under tend to run slightly colder than 78 degrees even though they're preset to that temperature. Honestly, most are cheaply made and don't last in the longterm (5+ years). EheI'm is my brand of choice for heaters, but I don't believe they have heaters for anything under 25g (correct me if I am mistaken), so I've been using Aqueon for my 5 gallon instead and I can't really complain.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For a 5 gallon tank, the Aqueon Pro Adjustable 50 watt and set it to 81/82 for your Betta. It will keep his metabolism up, you won't have digestion issues and he'll be more active.

OP
B

Bettaeverything

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
tum0r said:
I have found that most heaters designed for 10 gallon or under tend to run slightly colder than 78 degrees even though they're preset to that temperature. Honestly, most are cheaply made and don't last in the longterm (5+ years). EheI'm is my brand of choice for heaters, but I don't believe they have heaters for anything under 25 gallon (correct me if I am mistaken), so I've been using Aqueon for my 5 gallon instead and I can't really complain.
Thank you!

DuaneV said:
For a 5 gallon tank, the Aqueon Pro Adjustable 50 watt and set it to 81/82 for your Betta. It will keep his metabolism up, you won't have digestion issues and he'll be more active.
Thanks for the recommendation

New Threads