Heater for 65 gallon?

  • Thread starter

Doomheadthebetta

Valued Member
Messages
391
Reaction score
161
Points
53
Hii! I just realized that I need to get a heater for my 65 gallon. What's a good heater that isn't too expensive for my 65? o_O
 
  • Thread starter

Doomheadthebetta

Valued Member
Messages
391
Reaction score
161
Points
53
Dunk2 said:
I use 2 Finnex 200W heaters in my 75. I like them because they’ve got an out of water temperature control.
So I'd have to buy 2 of them for it to heat the whole tank? Would just buying the 300 watt be ok?
 

Dunk2

Well Known Member
Messages
661
Reaction score
728
Points
103
Experience
2 years
Doomheadthebetta said:
So I'd have to buy 2 of them for it to heat the whole tank? Would just buying the 300 watt be ok?
You‘ll want other opinions, but you may be ok with one 200W in your 65. For sure you’d be fine with one 300W.

I use two because I like to have a backup and I think it distributes the heat better in larger tanks.
 

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
2,276
Points
308
Experience
2 years
The size of heater depends on the difference between how cold the room will get versus what your target water temp is.

For example, an Aqueon Pro 250w heater works perfect in our 75 gallon tank kept at 78°f. But I live in South Texas, and it doesnt get very cold here.

Just a guess, but a 65 gallon usually needs between a 250 and 300w heater.
 

lc1958

New Member
Messages
27
Reaction score
11
Points
3
Dunk2 said:
You‘ll want other opinions, but you may be ok with one 200W in your 65. For sure you’d be fine with one 300W.

I use two because I like to have a backup and I think it distributes the heat better in larger tanks.
I put two 150's in my 65 a four foot long tank can have a large temperature gradient from end to end
 

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Messages
1,839
Reaction score
1,600
Points
363
Experience
More than 10 years
My Finnex HPG is 200w in my 55. I haven't had it running during winter yet. If you get one I'd get the 300w. I also like that it has a digital temp which I like. Pretty accurate too.
 
  • Thread starter

Doomheadthebetta

Valued Member
Messages
391
Reaction score
161
Points
53
StarGirl15 said:
My Finnex HPG is 200w in my 55. I haven't had it running during winter yet. If you get one I'd get the 300w. I also like that it has a digital temp which I like. Pretty accurate too.
Oh thats really cool! I'll try ordering the 300 then!!. I'm excited to start setting up the tank. I want to move my betta in my 20 so I can take his tank down.!!
 
  • Thread starter

Doomheadthebetta

Valued Member
Messages
391
Reaction score
161
Points
53
Splaker said:
It gets bad reviews... I am also looking for a new heater.. Eheims and Fluval's get good reviews so looking into those...
Oh hopefully mine actually works then.. Because I already ordered it lol I needed supplies for my ceramics and I was like why not get it now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
  • Thread starter

Doomheadthebetta

Valued Member
Messages
391
Reaction score
161
Points
53
Splaker said:
It gets bad reviews... I am also looking for a new heater.. Eheims and Fluval's get good reviews so looking into those...
Oh hopefully mine actually works then.. Because I already ordered it lol I needed supplies for my ceramics and I was like why not get it now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Awaken_Riceball_ said:
Oh well if the one I got doesn't work I can always return it and get a new one
 

Splaker

Valued Member
Messages
318
Reaction score
71
Points
48
Experience
Just started
But it's only 18 reviews. 3/5. Some really negative and some positive. Mixed reviews is probably a better description.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.
 
  • Thread starter

Doomheadthebetta

Valued Member
Messages
391
Reaction score
161
Points
53
Splaker said:
But it's only 18 reviews. 3/5. Some really negative and some positive. Mixed reviews is probably a better description.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Oh okie! Lol
Also sorry for my response that sent twice. My phone was being dumb -.-
 

Dunk2

Well Known Member
Messages
661
Reaction score
728
Points
103
Experience
2 years
Doomheadthebetta said:
Oh hopefully mine actually works then.. Because I already ordered it lol I needed supplies for my ceramics and I was like why not get it now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I just bought my 3rd Finnex for one of my tanks. All 3 are working well and I’ll buy a 4th if I need another heater.

Sometimes you have to understand that many folks who have bad experiences post negative reviews while many folks who have good experiences don’t post any reviews at all.
 

Awaken_Riceball_

Valued Member
Messages
421
Reaction score
384
Points
98
Experience
3 years
Dunk2 said:
I just bought my 3rd Finnex for one of my tanks. All 3 are working well and I’ll buy a 4th if I need another heater.

Sometimes you have to understand that many folks who have bad experiences post negative reviews while many folks who have good experiences don’t post any reviews at all.
I 100% disagree with you because no product is flawless. I find negative reviews more helpful than positive reviews because the product flaws are exposed. Furthermore, if more than one negative review report of the same flaw, then there are quality control issues. Additionally, I read positive reviews to understand how the product should function and since I am technical minded, I can sort out user error vs technical flaw reviews to make an informed decision. While you had 3 great Finnex heaters, all it takes is one bad heater to change your mind completely.

Lastly, Amazon is full of fake reviews, so gotta sort through that mess as well or cross reference other website selling the same product to see review ratings. I would not disregard negative reviews, but always read to be informed and comfortable with your purchase decisions.

Just my thoughts.

Edit: I just cross reference Bulk Reed Supply. Look at the similar rating.

Screenshot_20200117-175434_Firefox.jpg
 

Dunk2

Well Known Member
Messages
661
Reaction score
728
Points
103
Experience
2 years
Awaken_Riceball_ said:
I 100% disagree with you because no product is flawless.
Your disagreement is flawed. . . I never said that any product was flawless.

What I did do was share MY experience with a certain product and my experience with online reviews.
 

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Messages
1,839
Reaction score
1,600
Points
363
Experience
More than 10 years
EVERYthing you ever buy will have bad reviews. I agree with Dunk2 that usually disgruntled buyers write reviews. Not always. I've heard about a lot of companies making fake accounts to write good reviews about their products.

My HPG is great so far. Will it work in a year? I hope so, I don't know yet. :p
 

Dunk2

Well Known Member
Messages
661
Reaction score
728
Points
103
Experience
2 years
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom