Heater for 65 gallon?

Doomheadthebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hii! I just realized that I need to get a heater for my 65 gallon. What's a good heater that isn't too expensive for my 65? o_O

Doomheadthebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Dunk2 said:
I use 2 Finnex 200W heaters in my 75. I like them because they’ve got an out of water temperature control.
So I'd have to buy 2 of them for it to heat the whole tank? Would just buying the 300 watt be ok?

Dunk2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Doomheadthebetta said:
So I'd have to buy 2 of them for it to heat the whole tank? Would just buying the 300 watt be ok?
You‘ll want other opinions, but you may be ok with one 200W in your 65. For sure you’d be fine with one 300W.

I use two because I like to have a backup and I think it distributes the heat better in larger tanks.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The size of heater depends on the difference between how cold the room will get versus what your target water temp is.

For example, an Aqueon Pro 250w heater works perfect in our 75 gallon tank kept at 78°f. But I live in South Texas, and it doesnt get very cold here.

Just a guess, but a 65 gallon usually needs between a 250 and 300w heater.

lc1958

Reaction score
Dunk2 said:
You‘ll want other opinions, but you may be ok with one 200W in your 65. For sure you’d be fine with one 300W.

I use two because I like to have a backup and I think it distributes the heat better in larger tanks.
I put two 150's in my 65 a four foot long tank can have a large temperature gradient from end to end

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My Finnex HPG is 200w in my 55. I haven't had it running during winter yet. If you get one I'd get the 300w. I also like that it has a digital temp which I like. Pretty accurate too.

Doomheadthebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
StarGirl15 said:
My Finnex HPG is 200w in my 55. I haven't had it running during winter yet. If you get one I'd get the 300w. I also like that it has a digital temp which I like. Pretty accurate too.
Oh thats really cool! I'll try ordering the 300 then!!. I'm excited to start setting up the tank. I want to move my betta in my 20 so I can take his tank down.!!

Doomheadthebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Splaker said:
It gets bad reviews... I am also looking for a new heater.. Eheims and Fluval's get good reviews so looking into those...
Oh hopefully mine actually works then.. Because I already ordered it lol I needed supplies for my ceramics and I was like why not get it now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Doomheadthebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Splaker said:
It gets bad reviews... I am also looking for a new heater.. Eheims and Fluval's get good reviews so looking into those...
Oh hopefully mine actually works then.. Because I already ordered it lol I needed supplies for my ceramics and I was like why not get it now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Awaken_Riceball_ said:
Oh well if the one I got doesn't work I can always return it and get a new one

Splaker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
But it's only 18 reviews. 3/5. Some really negative and some positive. Mixed reviews is probably a better description.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Doomheadthebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Splaker said:
But it's only 18 reviews. 3/5. Some really negative and some positive. Mixed reviews is probably a better description.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Oh okie! Lol
Also sorry for my response that sent twice. My phone was being dumb -.-

Dunk2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Doomheadthebetta said:
I just bought my 3rd Finnex for one of my tanks. All 3 are working well and I’ll buy a 4th if I need another heater.

Sometimes you have to understand that many folks who have bad experiences post negative reviews while many folks who have good experiences don’t post any reviews at all.

Awaken_Riceball_

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dunk2 said:
I just bought my 3rd Finnex for one of my tanks. All 3 are working well and I’ll buy a 4th if I need another heater.

Sometimes you have to understand that many folks who have bad experiences post negative reviews while many folks who have good experiences don’t post any reviews at all.
I 100% disagree with you because no product is flawless. I find negative reviews more helpful than positive reviews because the product flaws are exposed. Furthermore, if more than one negative review report of the same flaw, then there are quality control issues. Additionally, I read positive reviews to understand how the product should function and since I am technical minded, I can sort out user error vs technical flaw reviews to make an informed decision. While you had 3 great Finnex heaters, all it takes is one bad heater to change your mind completely.

Lastly, Amazon is full of fake reviews, so gotta sort through that mess as well or cross reference other website selling the same product to see review ratings. I would not disregard negative reviews, but always read to be informed and comfortable with your purchase decisions.

Just my thoughts.

Edit: I just cross reference Bulk Reed Supply. Look at the similar rating.

Screenshot_20200117-175434_Firefox.jpg

Dunk2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Awaken_Riceball_ said:
I 100% disagree with you because no product is flawless.
Your disagreement is flawed. . . I never said that any product was flawless.

What I did do was share MY experience with a certain product and my experience with online reviews.

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
EVERYthing you ever buy will have bad reviews. I agree with Dunk2 that usually disgruntled buyers write reviews. Not always. I've heard about a lot of companies making fake accounts to write good reviews about their products.

My HPG is great so far. Will it work in a year? I hope so, I don't know yet. :p

Dunk2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom