Heater for 5 gallon Question 

jt21

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon tank with a betta in it and need a heater but can’t find one that has good reviews. Suggestions?

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello jt...

I've used Tetra, Hydor, Tronic and Aqueon heaters. All of them are good. If I was to choose, I'd use Aqueon. This brand is a pretty good buy and lasts

Old

jt21

Reaction score
Would a 25 watt work without frying my betta

I need to find out what watt I need for a heater to heat my 5 gallon tank. I have a betta and don’t wanna kill it.

Tamlibtoim

Reaction score
JT21 I know your pain. I have been reading review after review of every different type of heater out there, unfortunately only people with complaints seem to be the majority of reviews. Of course this does not take into account how many thousands of happy owners there are. I just went with a reputable brand and chose based on my preferences. I ended up with Aqueon although I have used top fin and tetra as well. Also you might want to look up (google) betta tank heaters. They are sized specifically for smaller tanks.

Convoluted77

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I go with 5 watts per gallon as long as I'm not trying to raise more than 10 degrees or so from room temperature.

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Probably a 25 or 50 watt heater will be fine. It is a really really good idea to get an adjustable heater, so you have more control over the temperature (or if you ever wanted to raise the temp higher or lower for any reason). An adjustable heater will generally be bigger and therefore take up more room in the tank than a non-adjustable heater, but to me it's worth the loss of real estate :)
Also, if the room the tank will be in is exceptionally cold or warm, that may affect your heater choice as well. Keeping a tank at 80 degrees in a really cold room, the heater will have to work harder to maintain that temperature. :)

John58ford

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I have had a very hard time finding adjustable temperature heaters that are snag free in a compact form factor. In one of my tanks the design required the heater be no deeper that 5 inches so I've done a ton of research and product testing on nano heaters over the last couple years.

I have 2 of these, one has been running for about 6 months now and the other a month and a half, they do great at keeping the temp level and they don't have all the silly skeletonized ribs for snails and fins to get stuck in. The only design flaw I have found is that the low water safety is a float switch mounted in the top, if you don't rinse it out sometimes the floats can get stuck. Easily fixed though. I have a few other heaters this size and don't like them nearly as much.
I tried to find a live link on Amazon but it looks like the product is not currently available ther we any more.

It only runs at 78 degrees, but it has been by far my favorite heater for tanks smaller than 5 gallon.

Good luck on your search.

jt21

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon tank. I am in the process of looking for a 50w heater. Would I be able to have a 150Watt heater in there just for now. Tops 1 or 2 weeks. No fish are in the tank, it is being cycled

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
jt21 said:
I have a 5 gallon tank. I am in the process of looking for a 50w heater. Would I be able to have a 150Watt heater in there just for now. Tops 1 or 2 weeks. No fish are in the tank, it is being cycled
You dont really need a heater if there are no fish in there.

How cool does your water get without one?

jt21

Reaction score
71 degree and I’m putting a betta in there

Dennis57

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ideal is 78-80 but will do OK in 72ish

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If the 150w fits and you just need to raise temps to mid 80's to cycle, that is fine.

Once you get the betta in there, a 50w will be fine.

We used a 50w Aqueon for a 5.5 gallon tank that worked well for the application. Kept it at a solid 78f all the time.

Get a heater that is adjustable, not a pre-set heater

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I use a 100W in my 5.5 gallon it will allow you to get the temp a lot higher if you ever have to try t heat treat for ick. I would do a 100W personally. When my 50W crapped out on me in one of my 5.5 betta tanks i ran a 300W till the 100 arrived and it worked out fine other than it taking up the entire back of the tank and then some :)

jt21

Reaction score
Is 150 watt to much for a 5 gallon

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Go for at least a 25 or 50 watt heater.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
i would do 100W personally.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What is lowest temperature the room will get the tank is in ?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom