Heater For 2.5 Gallon Tank?

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by Confishion, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Confishion

ConfishionNew MemberMember

My sister brought home a betta fish from her college dorm two years ago, and because of our limited space and budget I was not able to provide a good home or life for her. Now that I have saved up some money, I switched to a 2.5 gallon tank (which, of course, is the bare minimum requirement), but I still need a heater. Our fish, Sephie, definitely seems to be happier, but I as an inexperienced and newbie fish owner have no idea what heater to get her.

I also have a fairly limited budget, so I would prefer recommendations on the cheaper side? I don't believe she is sick.

Persephone :) -
    Sephie.jpg

2. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Try to get a 5 or 10 watt heater.

3. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

I just got a little freaked out because she looks exactly like my red betta. Although that's a pretty standard color, so I shouldn't be surprised, but I wasn't expecting it.

4. CindyVBPets

CindyVBPetsValued MemberMember

I have this one but I only use it as needed and only temporarily. These are called pre-sets where you can't set anything and they're supposed to shut off themselves but LOTS of people have problems and cook the fish.

I put it on for an hour or so if my temp drops below 78 but that's in a TEN GALLON. But I live in Florida and keep my condo around 77 degrees.

Sometimes the light above the tank is all that's needed.

Do you have a thermometer?

I had a client with a betta unheated in a 2.5 tank and her house was cold to me at 72 degrees but the fish was very fine for all the time I worked for her, like a year. She moved and now that fish is in my 10 gallon LOL She didn't have a thermometer so I don't know what her temp was - and maybe the light on the hood kept it warm enough.

Petco and Petsmart sell their own versions of these.

If you use one keep an eagle eye on it and don't leave the house with it running, in my opinion. BUT you can't have it bouncing dramatically from high to low to high etc, either.

5. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Which I believe I used in a 5 gallon tub, and it seemed okay-ish, although I never felt much heat off it. It was for 3 gallons though. The lid always had tons of condensation on it, so I feel like it was warm in there.

I'm not running heaters with my platies and mollies right now since it's 100 degrees outside and I keep my apartment at 78, but I'm constantly wondering if the thermometers are working because 75 degree water always feels rather cold to me.