Help Heater Cracked

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My 1 week old Betta has starting laying on the floor of the tank and I don’t know why, checked temperature, parameters, signs of diseases nothing. I have no idea why. I’d like to hear your inputs.
Image1569582025.682457.jpg

But as soon as I get my finger close he moves, he isn’t lethargic either.

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My Betta....along with my other fish in the other aquariums....frequently lounge on the substrate, usually a shady spot under plants or decor when they get fed up of the bright lighting

Before we had LED lighting my aquariums had the old fashioned softer fluourescent tube lighting and the fish didn't generally hunt for shelter from it.......but with LED it seems quite a common thing for fish to seek sheltered areas at the bottom of the aquarium

Thats just my experience thusfar and your lad does seem to be in a shady spot compared to the rest of his home.

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My Betta....along with my other fish in the other aquariums....frequently lounge on the substrate, usually a shady spot under plants or decor when they get fed up of the bright lighting

Before we had LED lighting my aquariums had the old fashioned softer fluourescent tube lighting and the fish didn't generally hunt for shelter from it.......but with LED it seems quite a common thing for fish to seek sheltered areas at the bottom of the aquarium

Thats just my experience thusfar and your lad does seem to be in a shady spot compared to the rest of his home.
Thank you so much, I was puzzled to see this healthy Betta hiding. The light is LED 2W mix of white and blue. He also hides under his sponge covering the spray bar (reduces flow). Right now he is actively swimming. He likes to explore his tank sometimes. I just wanted to ask if 8.5 hours of lighting is good. Thanks again!

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have several caves and shelters in my aquariums where the fish can get away from the lighting for a break and at times the aquariums look empty of fish cos they are all hidden away. My lights are on from 0500 til 1000 and from 1700 til 2200 and the moment the lights go off all the fish come out to play :)

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
betta fish like quiet / no disturb tank.If they might swim around explore new tank after few days old if tank have fishes.If he is alone then he like to hide more.Give him some thing to hide like floating or bushy plants.Not thing wrong with your lonely betta.

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The fun didn't last long, aquarium heater exploded. Betta and nerites doing good or at least I think so.
that link is a video to how my heater exploded and the same brand. (Not me just same heater and breakage as me). Lasted approximately a week.

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just make sure there isn't any glass shards on and in the substrate. There are no chemicals per se in the heater, just alot of shards of glass and heater element that need to be hoovered from the substrate

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just make sure there isn't any glass shards on and in the substrate. There are no chemicals per se in the heater, just alot of shards of glass and heater element that need to be hoovered from the substrate
Closely checked and no glass shards. Betta pretended to be dead which got me scared. Nerites moving normally again. Going back to lfs to show it to them and telling it could've potentially killed my fishes and plants if I hadnt recognized early.

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What manufacturer was the shattered heater?

This can then be a heads up for other users of the same one

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have never heard of that one tbh

(Sounds a bit of a Chinese cheap & cheerful knock-off....no disrepect to you obviously)

Try for one thats well known such as Fluval Marina, Eheim, Tetra etc and are not expensive

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have never heard of that one tbh

(Sounds a bit of a Chinese cheap & cheerful knock-off....no disrepect to you obviously)

Try for one thats well known such as Fluval Marina, Eheim, Tetra etc and are not expensive
I would’ve but it’ll take nearly a month maybe more for it to arrive.

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Where are you situated then?

Can you not order one online with next day delivery?

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looking at that photo it appears that there is water inside the glass which would indicate that it is either poorly made or it should not be fully submersed in water

Water should never get inside that glass...its not watertight and the water ingress will short it...and break the glass...I suspect the glass is not toughened either

TimothyHartwick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Where are you situated then?

Can you not order one online with next day delivery?
I live in a rural area so it takes a long time for it to arrive, I also noticed the aquarium got to 28°C after it cracked. I have a dilemma, I could wait a month for a heater to arrive or buy one from lfs.

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I order all of my aquatic bits and pieces...including aquariums...from an online supplier here in the UK and its delivered by courier the next day

Which country are you, have you checked for online aquatic suppliers with a next day delivery?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom