Heater bubbling?

BellaFriedrick
My 10 gallon’s heater just let out a whole stream of VERY tiny bubbles, it lasted a few minutes then stopped. It comes from that rubber bottom, from under the rubber on that. I looked it up and almost everyone’s saying that that means somethings wrong, but it’s still doing it’s job, I do lots of water changes because of a disease and the temp usually goes up to about 84 f from 80-82 f, the heater brings it back down or keeps it there. It’s done this (bubbles) for awhile, not very often but this isn’t the first time. Should I be worried? It hasn’t given any problems besides sometimes being a couple degrees off, and it’s pretty new, and few months old. I bought it new and I think it had between 4 and 5 stars. Opinions? I think it’s fine but just want to make sure. I tried getting a video but as soon as I got back to the tank the bubbles stopped.

Betta'sAnonymous
I don't mess with heaters. I would replace it.

John58ford
My aquatop digital heaters do this at the bottom mount/sleeve if they aren't pressed all the way in.

What brand and model heater is it? Is it mounted vertical, horizontal, or diagonal? If it's one with more simple mounting this may be cause for alarm, but some with less common mounting may just need some adjustment. Some heaters are only recommended for certain angles too

veggieshark
Doesn't sound like a heater problem. This is not the rubber sealing the heater, it is the one at the tip, basically preventing it from hitting hard objects, right?

Your playing with the temperature may have caused air bubbles to get caught/formed on the rubber surface. If it is the sealing rubber then it could mean problem.

BellaFriedrick
John58ford said:
My aquatop digital heaters do this at the bottom mount/sleeve if they aren't pressed all the way in.

What brand and model heater is it? Is it mounted vertical, horizontal, or diagonal? If it's one with more simple mounting this may be cause for alarm, but some with less common mounting may just need some adjustment. Some heaters are only recommended for certain angles too
It’s mounted vertically. I don’t know the brand, I think Aqueon. I can describe it, though. The dial is at the top and to raise temp you twist to the left. The numbers showing the degrees are in the middle. There’s a rubber sealant at the bottom, which I think is where it’s coming from. It doesn’t happen very often. Many once every few weeks.
veggieshark said:
Doesn't sound like a heater problem. This is not the rubber sealing the heater, it is the one at the tip, basically preventing it from hitting hard objects, right?

Your playing with the temperature may have caused air bubbles to get caught/formed on the rubber surface. If it is the sealing rubber then it could mean problem.
It’s the rubber sealant at the bottom, which I’ve heard can be a problem. This is the type without a rubber case around it.
veggieshark said:

I’ve also read that because hot water holds less gas it could be from the frequent water changes I do. The temp usually raises a couple degrees. Right now I’m out of town, but when I get back how do I check inside the heater?

veggieshark
BellaFriedrick said:
It’s mounted vertically. I don’t know the brand, I think Aqueon. I can describe it, though. The dial is at the top and to raise temp you twist to the left. The numbers showing the degrees are in the middle. There’s a rubber sealant at the bottom, which I think is where it’s coming from. It doesn’t happen very often. Many once every few weeks.

It’s the rubber sealant at the bottom, which I’ve heard can be a problem. This is the type without a rubber case around it.
I am confused. The sealing rubber would be at the end where the dialer is. The one on the other end should be just casing, at in my imagination of a heater. Maybe if you could put a picture, I'll get it.

BellaFriedrick
veggieshark said:
I am confused. The sealing rubber would be at the end where the dialer is. The one on the other end should be just casing, at in my imagination of a heater. Maybe if you could put a picture, I'll get it.
Ohhhh I think I described it wrong. The SEALING rubber is at the top with the dialer. I’m talking about the rubber piece at the bottom, that where the bubbles came from.

veggieshark
There would have to be a crack in the heater tube at that end for the bubbling to be a concern. I doubt that is the case. You can examine to see if there is a crack. Sometimes that rubber is shrink-fit and in that case it is not a good idea to temper with it.

You can be extra cautious and replace it, but I would observe it for a little longer to understand if there is an explanation, based on 1) no visible evidence of damage, 2) it is working and 3) has not electrocuted you when changing water.

BellaFriedrick
veggieshark said:
There would have to be a crack in the heater tube at that end for the bubbling to be a concern. I doubt that is the case. You can examine to see if there is a crack. Sometimes that rubber is shrink-fit and in that case it is not a good idea to temper with it.

You can be extra cautious and replace it, but I would observe it for a little longer to understand if there is an explanation, based on 1) no visible evidence of damage, 2) it is working and 3) has not electrocuted you when changing water.
I’m sorry for bothering you again, but I think I solved the mystery! I just got home and did another water change (I do alot Bc my tank is un cycled Bc of a freak accident and one of my bettas has tail rot.) and after I finished i took the heater from the wall and gave it a very thorough check. I couldn’t find a single crack or any water inside the heater. I think that because at the start of my betta’s tail rot I did 70% water changes, air got trapped in the rubber bottom of the heater. Another point towards that is when I removed the heater a huge bubble came from inside the rubber, not inside the heater. The heater still acts completely normal, but since Its only a theory I do have another coming in the mail, just in case. I’ll be checking for signs or bubbles from the inside, but I think that that was the problem. Thank you!

Random Great Thread

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore

Latest threads

Top Bottom