Heater/aquarium light overheating tank!

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by Crelus26, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Crelus26

Crelus26New MemberMember

I currently have a 50 watt heater in my 12 gallon tank set to 75 degrees fahrenheit. but I find that my digital thermometer reads up to 77-79 by the end of the day! I suppose it's a major problem at the moment, but I'm still getting worried. It can't be a problem with my heater's hardware, the one we have is brand new! Is the heater overheating the tank when combined with the light?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  2. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

It is a 5 watt or 50 watt heater? Some heaters start up when the temperature drops 1 or 2 degrees below what you have set it at and continue to heat until it is a degree or 2 over. Maybe that is what it is doing?

3. OP
    OP
    Crelus26

Crelus26New MemberMember

Maybe.. The main reason I'm concerned is simply due to the fact that it might be reducing the oxygen in the tank, which is a problem for both the fish and beneficial bacteria.

4. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

I run my tanks at 78 - 80 degrees so I don't think that will be a problem. Do you have an airstone running in the tank? That would stir up the surface a bit more to help oxygenate the water.

5. OP
    OP
    Crelus26

Crelus26New MemberMember

6. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but tiger barbs need much more than 12 gallons.

Do you have fluorescent or incandescent bulbs? Incandescent ones get much warmer.

I'm assuming it must be a 50W heater, not a 5W; 5W would do nothing in a 12 gallon tank (I have 50W heaters in my 10 gallon tanks; a 25W heater isn't even keeping my 5.5 gallon tank warm enough). If the problem is incandescent bulbs, you can turn the heater on when the lights go off, and turn it off when the lights come on.

Another idea is to check the thermometer. I'm assuming it's one you wouldn't put in your mouth at this point :p But you can get a cup, fill it with ice, then fill it with water. Let it sit for a minute, then take the temperature; it should be pretty close to 32F. I freaked out the other day because I thought my tank was way too cold, but a little water got in my IR temp gun and made it off by a few degrees.

7. OP
    OP
    Crelus26

Crelus26New MemberMember

I know that 12 gallons is too small for tiger barbs, that is why I'm getting a 37 gallon tank as soon as possible, hence the past two threads I've had to make on stocking. Either way, I'll try those methods whenever I get the chance.

8. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

None of my tanks are heated and they all run warmer than the air to varying degrees. It depends on how many things are acting on it. The filters and the light they get warm the water.