Heater And Rubbermaid Containers Or Buckets?

Can you use a heater in container or bucket?

• Yes

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Blue Bea

What is the consensus about using a heater (for just a few days) in a rubbermaid container or 5 gallon bucket? I'm a little concerned about melting or releasing toxins into the water. Should I be?

BluMan1914

You shouldn't have any worries. Just to be on the safe side, just make sure that the heater is not laying against the bucket or container.

Bettanewb

It shouldn't be an issue I use a plastic tote for qt/hospital tank. If the heater is hot enough to melt the plastic it's hot enough to harm the fish. Just make sure the container you use is food safe.

Rubbermaid totes are great for temporary situations.

Hope that helps

BeanFish

I used a heater for 2 months on a rubbermaid container. No issues whatsoever. Just be sure the heater doesn't touch the plastic as BluMan said.

Sarcasm Included

As long as the heater is in the water when on, it won't get hot enough to melt the plastic.

TwoHedWlf

Go touch a heater. They aren't hot, barely warmer than the water.

It's only if you wrap your hand around it and stop the water from cooling them do they dtart to get warm.

Dave125g

As long as there's water circulation, and the heater is not touching the container you should be fine. Honestly a rubber made container ( even the clear) make horrible QT or treatment tanks. Its hard to get a good look at your fish to accuratly gage there health. A 10 gallon tank is 12 bucks at Walmart.

Blue Bea

Dave125g said:
As long as there's water circulation, and the heater is not touching the container you should be fine. Honestly a rubber made container ( even the clear) make horrible QT or treatment tanks. Its hard to get a good look at your fish to accuratly gage there health. A 10 gallon tank is 12 bucks at Walmart.
It's not for QT. I have a QT tank. It's for a move. But thanks for the tip.

Jayd976

I keep a heater and powerhead in a 20 gallon plastic Rubbermaid I store mix saltwater in. The heater is on 24/7 you'll be fine.

Dave125g

Blue Bea said:
It's not for QT. I have a QT tank. It's for a move. But thanks for the tip.
I figured as much. If you put an airstone just next to the heater ,that should give you enough circulation. Good luck on your move.

Jayd976

another method is just get a cheap cooler. You can get the battery operated air stone either by small batteries or the better 6 volt units they make for boat holding tanks. I use that incase of power outage last for days and powerful to keep my 90 gallon oxygen levels up when needed.

EmmaBudgie

I heat my plastic container full of water every week for water changes and have never had a problem Have also used it as a quarantine tank and seemed fine.

Blue Bea

Dave125g said:
I figured as much. If you put an airstone just next to the heater ,that should give you enough circulation. Good luck on your move.
Thanks! I have purchased several battery operated ones.

Jayd976 said:
another method is just get a cheap cooler. You can get the battery operated air stone either by small batteries or the better 6 volt units they make for boat holding tanks. I use that incase of power outage last for days and powerful to keep my 90 gallon oxygen levels up when needed.
Ooooo, I'll bet my hubby will agree to get at least one for a holding tank. He can use it on one of the boats later.

EmmaBudgie said:
I heat my plastic container full of water every week for water changes and have never had a problem Have also used it as a quarantine tank and seemed fine.
That's actually a really good idea. I've never thought of that.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom