Heater almost boiled fish, any equipment to prevent?

Chenpoes

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Gave into the urge to give my qt tank one last look before bedtime, and noticed my heater giving off these weird little lines(?), so I took a quick video (I'll link below) and then unplugged it and pulled it out. Literally threw it across the room it was so hot lol, burned my poor fingers. Water immediately evaporated off of it as well. Had to have happened in the last couple hours, so glad I decided check on the tank or I might've woken up to some poached swordtails... In light of this recent scare, I'm wondering if there's any sort of probe/thermometer that'll shut off the heater if the tank gets too hot? Also, the lines in the video are just from the heat right, should I be doing a water big water change?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Big question is, was the water itself also that warm. Submurged heathers of course are a lot warmwr than the surroumding water (otherwise they don't heath).
When you pull them out there is no water to cool it down and off course will burn your hands. Doesn't mean it is not working.properly.

Most heathers have a bimetal.or chip that switch it out when the water reaches the right temp or the heather "overheats"

davey0

Reaction score
STC-1000 external controller with temp sensor is what i use.

My heater is set to 25* celcius.

My external controller is set to 26* Celsius +/- 1 degree. So it will cut off if the temp hits 27* Celsius & will cut back on when the temp drops to 25* Celsius.

Due to my heater being set at 25* if i ever see my controller cut power to the heater i know the heaters thermostat is gone & will need replacing. My external controller will cut power to the faulty heater repeatedly & save my fish.

New Threads