Heartier breeds than neons?

1. amdpayne Member Member

I'm down to one neon in my tank. When he passes away, should I do a 100% water change and bleach everything in the tank in case there's some sort of residual harmful bacteria from any illness that might have been claiming my neons?

I want to start over (with same tank, filter, setup) but with a heartier breed. I'm looking for small, bright (I have a penchant for red and/or blue fish), schooling, relatively hearty fish. Any suggestions?

2. FiscCyning Member Member

Have you seen physical signs of disease? Breaking down and bleaching the tank will destroy the beneficial bacteria in addition any harmful bacteria or fungus, so you will have to cycle the tank again. In most cases it is better not to break down the tank or else the new fish will suffer from the ammonia of an uncycled tank.

3. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I see that you have three tanks that were started during the first two weeks of June. were any or all of these tanks fully cycled before you put the fish in? I've been looking through your post, but I am having trouble finding this info. Since you have multiple talents, it should be fine to tear this one down completely and seed with material from a different field, provided that truly have a sufficient supply of beneficial bacteria.

What is the pH in your water? Do you know the KH also? If you do not have this information at hand, you can check the recent water quality report on the website for your water district.

I generally recommend that people choose fish that will live most easily in the water they have at hand. For instance, if your water is very hard, I would recommend small livebearers. Swamp guppies are very cute, and the bright red color morph would fit with what you are looking for. They are also known as micropoecilia picta. You could combine two males, six females, and one blue male platy to get a nice balance of colors and population control. There will be fry, but a lot of them should get eaten this way. You should start with low numbers because they will quickly increase.

You could also do something similar with Endler's, again using a fry eater they cannot hybridize with the main fish as your color contrast. A male swordtail would also be a good fry eater in at least 20 gal.

Or, you could do a tank of all male Endler's. In this latter case I would not mix with males of other types of livebearers.

4. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

If you wish to keep the same colour pattern, I have found cardinals to be a bit hardier than neons, although they require slightly warmer temperature and dislike bright light, so some shelter from light must be provided (easily done with plants).
    If you wish to break down your tank, cleaning everything with a mild bleach solution will do a good job; you can then simply give everything a good rinse (as bleach is just chlorine, it breaks down very quickly).
    You will, of course, have to cycle your tank again.
    I would also look at other tetras to see if any of those happen to appeal to you; I mention the cardinal just because it resembles the neon, but there are many lovely tetras.
    You really should also try to figure out just what happened to the neons, btw.--rick
    Sorry, I hadn't noticed that you were already intending to use bleach.

5. amdpayne Member Member

Good suggestions, everyone; thanks! I was considering cardinals. My apt is usually rather dim/shady already, and my water is definitely a bit warm. Maybe warmer than the neons cared for. Would it bother the cardinals if I had lights on in my apt in the evenings, like a kitchen overhead light (which I've noticed doesn't light up the tank too much), or if I turned on the tanks's hood fluorescent light for a few hours sometimes?

I've considered platys too... guppies are alright, but from what I've experienced, they're a little too energetic for my liking, and seem to have a problem with jumping (or bullying other fish)..? :/ I'll look into endlers

Does anyone know if cherry barbs are good? I also find danios kind of cute...

6. Maxi1 Member Member

I have always had trouble keeping neons, cardinals or rummy nose tetras. I think my pH is too high,around 7.6. I now have pristella tetras and they are great. They are a pretty yellow and come in a gold also. They are not red or blue, sorry, but they are hardy, peaceful and seem to enjoy my tanks.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. amdpayne Member Member

I'll look into those! Thanks!

8. celizabethh3 Member Member

I haven't had luck with neons but my black skirt tetras are doing great. I love their fins and I've seen pictures of a long-finned variety that I now wish I had. :)

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

IMHO, glowlight tetras are some of the hardiest freshwater fish out there.

10. amdpayne Member Member

Interesting ideas! Will look into those too. :)