Heartbroken. Worst Disaster. ;*(--- </3

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I massively overdosed Hydrogen peroxide attempting to get rid of a buncha staghorn algae.......................I killed almost ALL of my fish. (30 gal.) ;*(--- Did a 90% WC...stilll...not much help. Even ALL of my fry didn't make it. My shrimp and betta did though. And some Corys. ALL of my platys are dead. ;*(--- </3 Have my HOB working O.T. and an airstone, to hopefully chastise the freakin' peroxide. MAJOR rookie mistake. : ( Need more help and advice...please. : (

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
... no words. Just plain sucks.
I’m sure ur doing everything u can. All I can offer is sympathy, and a ‘get back on the horse’ note of support. U got this.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
...i'm so gutted for you, mate!

doing the huge water change would have been my advice. you know this stuff. i hope you don't lose everything...

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
About 16 Nerites are still not moving...not sure if they're still alive or not...how the Amanos, betta, and Corys survived is beyond me. I dosed using a turkey baster, as I did not have a syringe on hand. I probably put about 30 oz. of peroxide in (large bottle) and vacuumed some of the substrate to stir the remaining peroxide out. It's still kinda lingering. I shoulda done MUCH more extensive research before hand. HOW COULD I DO SOMETHING SO STUPID?!!???????!!!

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
KAM Purple Boost will neutralize the peroxide, if you have any way of getting your hands on some. Horseradish roots have the same property, but I haven't tested them on fish.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Transferred the remaining survivors for a few other tanks for now...they seem MUCH better! Some fry did survive at least...found 1 red wagtail baby, 2 sunset babies, and just 1 variatus' are fine for now...ok maybe not all the fish are dead, but plenty are...gonna allow this 30 gal. to clear up here...this really really sucks! : ( Mostly my own fault for being a bit impulsive. Learned my lesson for sure!

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
if it's still lingering, you can always do another 50% change? if you started with a 90, you removed 90%. then you can drop it to only 5% remaining with another 50% change.

mate, we've all been there! i added alkaline buffer to the volume of the entire tank when i first started trying to fix our 0kH. it literally brough the pH up instantly from 6.4 to like 7.4 ...which is a 100 fold increase in alkalinity!!! nearly killed all my fish. they survived that but didn't last much longer after...

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ugh...thank you everyone. I need a drink...

Pretty cloudy as anticipated. I cut off the CO2 of course, and gonna allow the airstone to run for days now. Since this was a rather hasty WC, all of my plants are all kinda jumbled up and messed up, as you saw in the pic. Most all the inhabitants have been transferred to other tanks and are fine now at least. : ) Really sucks I lost a lot of very healthy fry... : ( Yeah, may do another WC a bit later...gonna run to the store here and see if I can get that peroxide stuff...yeah I did do a 90% WC, and this isn't as bad as I thought...yet...dunno...

Attachments

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
As much as peroxide is acutely toxic (in larger amounts), I thought one of the nice things about it for aquarium use is that it breaks down to water and oxygen. I think that happens fairly quickly, no? Since you’ve done the 90%wc, and removed most/all sensitive livestock, you shouldn’t need to do anything else except keep water moving to gas off extra O2. Yes-no?
Also monitor parameters, to see if you lost your cycle.
Whatever happened, in looking at the other tanks you have, and the livestock you’ve moved to safe tanks, I’m sure u did a better job of salvaging what u could from a terrible situation that I would have, in the same circumstances.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's also very very, very odd that the shrimp survived, as usually peroxide will outright kill 'em very rapidly. Corys still seem a bit sluggish, but are doing ok thus far...yeah gonna check on the water parameters tomorrow...filter hopefully should be fine, as was the last 10% of water and substrate likely at least had some BB still remaining...I just added some Stability just in case.

I used up close to 25-30 oz. of Hydrogen Peroxide, because I didn’t realize that this stupid turkey baster used wasn’t 100% sealed. It was leaky. : ( All of my livebearers (mothers and the fry) in this tank are now dead. 2 Amanos are fine, and the betta is fine. Cory’s are ok too.

King o´ Angelfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oof!
I have algae problems too. Luckily someone on this forum chased away my thoughts on considering hydrogen peroxide as a fix. I heard it was too risky and I dropped the thought. Good luck with your situation! We´ve all made mistakes, what matters is if we learn from them or not.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think shrimp are a lot more hardy than what many people give them credit for.

Sorry for the loss. I understand the need to rush things before fully understanding what you're doing. I've ruined many projects that way. Thankfully, none of it had to do with fish-keeping. You live and you learn.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks gentlemen! Gonna be patient here. Ohhhh yes, totally learned from this mishap for sure! Thank you very much for your sincere support everyone. : )

Brannor

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
And the best thing is that you shared this so that others - like me - will be aware of the risks for when it comes time to deal with algae.
I'll definitely go the Excel route as a 'safer' alternative, albeit likely slower.

-G

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmmm, after my crash/peroxide overdose, and doing about a 90% WC my water readings are: ammonia: .50, nitrite: .25 and nitrate 10 ppm...plants seem fine...guessing the hydrogen peroxide may have wiped out a lot of my BB...added some Stability though just in case...filter hopefully should be ok, as it was only off and still full of water for only about 20 minutes during the WC...not sure about my plants and substrate still having some BB now though...thoughts/recommendations anyone? Only been about 12 hours since that terrible, stupid incident...

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Never really has to "re-start" a cycle, so any help and advice would be greatly appreciated! So, pretty sure the my overdose of hydrogen peroxide nerfed/killed a lot of my BB/cycle now on the plants and substrate. Becasue the other day I did turn OFF my HOB filter and it was NOT exposed to the peroxide, thankfully. Although my main HOB filter likely has some BB left and also with some Stability I added yesterday or so. Figuring my cycle needs to be semi re-started, as here's my current water test readings as of today at 6:30pm, MST: ammonia: barely .50 ppm, (looks like it's already slightly falling since yesterday afternoon's reading) nitrite between .25 and .50, (went up a bit since yesterday's reading) and finally, nitrate: about 5-10 ppm. Should I just be patient and allow this tank to re-cycle/let it be?

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was about to write and ask how things are today, but u beat me to it.
I say yes to just be patient. I’ve read your advice to others in the past, you got this. And from the language ur using above, I think u have a clear picture of where ur at, and what to watch for in the short term. If u have high pH, your ammo level should be fine, but I’d dose w prime for nitrites just in case. And change water as needed on top of that.
I don’t need to remind u your bioload is much reduced at this point so u don’t need the same bb levels as before, ie recovery should be quick.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you sir, sure hope so! In addition, I also squeeeeeeeeeeeezed 2 very, very nasty old sponge filter media and some media from one of my other HOB's. : ) Water's very dirty and brown right now lol...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom