Heartbreak

1. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

So yesterday my favorite heifer started to calve... Her name is Pegasus!! I was really excited.. if it was a heifer calf her name was going to be Cinderella!! I kept a close eye on her and late afternoon I saw that there was tail sticking out instead of a head.. I gave her some assistance and delivered the calf... It was very premature.. only weighed probably 35 lbs and would have only came to my knees if it stood up!! It wasn't breathing.. I tried everything I could to get it to start up but I guess it was just too early.. the saddest part... Pegasus was so worried about it... She licked and licked and licked it... My husband wasn't home so I could not do anything about it as she was a bit aggressive.. I could here her crying to it.. she kept making these very worried mooing noises.. finally when my husband came home we went to chase her up to the barn.. she refused to leave her calf... So we carried the calf up to the barn and she followed it the whole way.. acting very excited because she thought it was finally moving and alive... Anyway it was just heartbreaking to see her so worried over her little tiny dead calf.. now she is very sick and seems to have given up the will to live... RIP Cinderella.. thanks for listening everyone..

2. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

I am so sorry about your calf.
    It is heartbreaking.
    Animals are so amazing. I can only imagine Pegasus' suffering. :(

3. OP
    OP
    Smalltownfishfriend

Thanks!! Yea.. she's pretty upset.. I let her out in the meadow this morning and that seemed to cheer her up a little!!

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I am extremely heartbroken to hear this story! :(
    Sometimes things like this just happen, it's nature's course, and we cannot always control the way it goes.
    I bid you good luck in the future that maybe you can enjoy another calf.

5. SecretiveFish

SecretiveFish Well Known Member Member

I am very sorry. Glad you were there for her and hope she recovers.

6. HORNET1

HORNET1 Valued Member Member

Such a heartbreaking loss...

Rnn6.gif
    I'm praying for happier days ahead for you and your family.

7. OP
    OP
    Smalltownfishfriend

Thanks everyone for the kind words!! I know it's life.. but it's still disappointing!! We have several more spring calves due soon so hopefully all their births go better!!:)

8. UglyAsian

UglyAsian Well Known Member Member

Wow. That seems terrible. No to hijack the thread, but right now i am in china, and a few days ago my dad arrived and told me our cousin's cat bit my leopard gecko to death. I felt really bad, because I was planning on upgrading everything for her. I felt bad because it seemed less than 2 years old. I only had it for around 6 months.

9. OP
    OP
    Smalltownfishfriend

It was.. but since then we had like 8 healthy calves so now it doesn't seem as bad!! Wow...that's awful!! I know the feeling.. just the other day one of my dogs broke into my guinea pig cage and bit my guinea pig to death too!!

10. UglyAsian

Wow. Sorry for your losses. I find owning animals to sometimes be sadder than it is worth it.

11. OP
    OP
    Smalltownfishfriend

Yea sometime it seemed that way! I saw your thread on mud turtles.. that's a great way to reuse your gecko aquarium!! Hopefully the cat leaves it go too!!

12. UglyAsian

Thanks. The cat is my cousin;s so when he gets back, I will not have to deal with that evil cat anymore

13. OP
    OP
    Smalltownfishfriend

That's good!!! They can be quite predatory!!

14. UglyAsian

Yeah, the worst part is that he didn't even eat it! He did it for fun!