hear some clicking but see nothing

Discussion in 'ID Help - Identify This' started by pokechop1980, Apr 1, 2010.

1. p

pokechop1980 Valued Member Member

so i hear this clicking sound coming from my tank, but when go and look, there is nothing. i know its not equipment or anything. i'm sure i got hidden hitch hiker, but what could it be? anyone have any ideas?

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Could it be one of your fish or other inhabitants of your tank?
    Carol

3. Chris123

Chris123 Well Known Member Member

Probaly one of the inhabinants like butterfly said

4. midthought

midthought Well Known Member Member

My heater makes a clicking noise, I've found...I'm not sure why. I was worried it was because it wasn't fully submerged, so I just keep trying to readjust it when I hear it. Can't confirm that that's the issue though.

5. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

It could be a pistol shrimp, they make loud clicking noises with their claws. Do some research on them :)

6. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

How are the clicks sequenced?

Are they in twos, like "click-click...click-click.." or ones, like "click...click..." (pistol shrimp) or multiple random clicks, like "click-click-click-click...click-click..click-click-click..." (mantis shrimp)?

Pistol shrimp click with their claws, mantis shrimp do that when hitting the glass with their claws. Look for any missing fish or inverts in the tank.

7. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Yikes, I've never heard of Pistol Shrimp, but Mantis Shrimp are scary!!!

8. Elodea

Aww, Lucy, what makes you think that mantis shrimp are scary? They're the coolest crustaceans (I didn't say shrimp because mantis shrimp are stomapods) around! Some peacocks can command up to $30.00 for sale.

If you ask me, they're about as fierce as Lake Malawi cichlids (ask BB).

9. Lucy

Oh, yeah, they're way cool, but scarey! lol
    I've read they can break glass?

10. Elodea

That's only the big mantis shrimp (peacock, etc.) with very thin glass. Also they have to be "baited" or lured (like wiggling a finger or something) first. Another way this happens is when they are digging a burrow and hit the bottom of the tank. In nature, the first response is to bash it apart, whether coral or rock, so they do that. Just in case, I'd go with an acrylic tank.

11. Lucy

:) Thanks Elodea.

pokechop1980, sorry for the hi-jack. :oops:

12. OP
    OP
    p

i know its not my heater clicking.....all my live stock is accounted for......all i have is 2 fish, an emerald crab, a snail and a star. do emerald crabs click like that? i also have some sorta worm like critter in there as well. it has 3 hair-like things on its head and what looks to be like tons of legs...i know its not a bristle worm, i know what they look like....it seems to come out at feeding time...but if u try to look at it, it darts back in the rock...any ideas as to what it is? i tryed to get a pic but wasnt fast enough

13. Elodea

Emerald crabs shouldn't click like that. I don't know what the worm-thingy is, it would be helpful if you post a picture.

Did you add any live rock? It could harbour quite a few hitchhikers.

14. OP
    OP
    p

i managed to get a picture of some of the worm thing i got in my tank....how do i put the pictures up?

15. Elodea

Click on "Go Advanced" at the bottom of the "Quick Reply" box. Then, scroll down to "Manage Attachments" near the bottom of the page, and upload the photo.

Remember that it has to be 2400 pixels wide or less: here's the link to an image resizer:

16. i

ibiaquariums Valued Member Member

Still sounds like a young mantis or pistol shrimp lol!

"sorta WORM LIKE critter in there as well. it has 3 hair-like things on its head and what looks to be like TONS OF LEGS...i know its not a bristle worm, i know what they look like....it seems to come out at FEEDING TIME...but if u try to look at it, it DARTS back in the ROCK"....

Seems to be sharing similarities associated with a
    shrimp i must say. PIC PIC PIC... try at night time.. with night-light, some bate, and recordable media at the ready :)

17. Elodea

Just don't kill it, please. Mantis shrimp make amazing pets.

18. OP
    OP
    p

here is that worm thing i talked about before....what is it?

Attached Files:

19. nemo addict

nemo addict Well Known Member Member

looks very much like a fire worm

20. Elodea

Yep, maybe some kind of bristleworm or fireworm. Anyways, I doubt that it's the cause of the clicking noise. I see that your tank has live rock in it...could it maybe be a hitchhiker? Try to identify where the noise is coming from.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice