Healthy?

FishGuy86

Does this tang look healthy to you guys?

jbird82

Yes, I just recently purchased a yellow tang and from what I see in the pic its look good to me. Is it acting funny?

agsansoo

Are you feeding him dried seaweed ? He looks a little hungry.

sgould

I agree...he looks a little thin.

FishGuy86

I have only been feeding once every other day due to high nitrites...but water conditions are becoming stable so I should be able to feed once a day now. I put some sea weed on a clip...and he just didn't take too well...I'll have to give it another shot and see what happens. Maybe he was just nervous because it was something new.

sgould

What are you feeding him, other than the sea weed?

FishGuy86

Umm...a mixture between flakes, garlic pellets, and frozen brine shrimp. Also..I'm not sure if you can tell or not...but do you think my sand is too brown or "dirty?"

sgould

Yeah, looks like you have a lot of growth going on there. My tank went through that as well. I used a combination of manually stirring the substrate regularly and blacking out the tank for a couple of days to get it back under control.

FishGuy86

Yeah..I'm still waiting for the Nitrates to come back down a little bit. I'd say about another week or so and I'll be doing a 10% water change. I could probably stir the sand up a bit while I'm in there. It won't stress the fish too much?

sgould

No, fish will be fine. How large is the tank, and how long set up?

FishGuy86

It's a 30 gallon. I've had it set up since the end of September. I rushed things a little bit and had to wait for the tank to finish cycling. That's why my nitrates are still a little high. Any recommendations?

sgould

Go ahead and start your water changes. I would recommend at least every other week, but I actually prefer to do a change each week.

agsansoo

Fish can handle high nitrates. So feed him more ! Tangs feed all day long in the wild.

FishGuy86

So start water changes...how much would you say...10% every other week?

agsansoo

10% every week to start out. As your tank matures and stabilizes, you can do 10% every other week.

FishGuy86

Ok...that shouldn't be too hard. Thank you

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom