Healthy Pleco

PhillyLawyer

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to fishkeeping, less than a year. I *think* my pleco is healthy, but I'm not 100% certain. It's the white/yellow spots just behind the head that I'm concerned about. They're symmetrical, so I suspect it might be some type of coloration, but patches look off-color, and I'm just not sure. I'm also not sure whether it's properly nourished. It's been hiding in a 10 gallon with some ADFs and I seldom see it. I now have it in its own 5 gallon hospital tank, and dosing with Paragaurd, just to be sure. I'm doing nearly full water changes twice a week now that it's in the hospital tank, but the ADF tank was heavily planted and only needed water changes about one a month, if that.

20200331_165246.jpg
20200405_183211.jpg
20200405_183319.jpg
20200405_183503.jpg
20200405_183506.jpg

Also, if anyone can determine for me whether this is a common pleco or a female bristlenose, that'd be helpful. I got it for free from a big box pet store, last fall, because it was too small (back then) to survive in their tanks. It's now between 3 and 4 inches long.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Female BN and she look healthy. The patches are likely stress related, some normal colored BN just have patches all the time like that. I’d return her to the 10gal for now.

A 10gal is too small for an adult BN, I’d not keep them in anything less than a 20gal. Might want to think about upgrading in the future.

OP
P

PhillyLawyer

Reaction score
Thanks. I've got a 29 gallon community tank she'll eventually go into.

New Threads