Question Healthy Frogbit?

Maryellen

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I bought my frogbit about 3ish weeks ago, and I can’t help but noticing it’s not looking exactly how I thought. I’ve been pulling out a few dead leaves every day, and it’s not growing as far as I can tell. There is some root growth though. I have no cover above the frogbit, but I do have an aquarium plant light. I don’t know if the water is too warm, (about 80) or of the current is bothering it? (I have a sponge filter on the other side of the tank)
Maybe I’m just overreacting and the frogbit is just getting used to it’s new environment? Let me know how it looks to you guys!

This first picture was from when I first got it, the second two are from this morning.

Attachments

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They don't look too bad, but you do require a plant light.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They need a good light, once they have a good light and start putting up new leaves you’re good to go. Little water movement is preferred but so long as they aren’t getting tossed around or constantly spinning they should be ok.

Here’s a bunch of healthy frogbit located directly in front of the filter output. Their roots got tangled up in the jungle val which holds them in place and what was once 2 plants became 20. They’re also benefiting from some liquid fertilizers.
DFD629F1-FC07-40BF-B4D8-9A8987CB1F35.jpeg

OP
Maryellen

Maryellen

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Demeter said:
They need a good light, once they have a good light and start putting up new leaves you’re good to go. Little water movement is preferred but so long as they aren’t getting tossed around or constantly spinning they should be ok.

Here’s a bunch of healthy frogbit located directly in front of the filter output. Their roots got tangled up in the jungle val which holds them in place and what was once 2 plants became 20. They’re also benefiting from some liquid fertilizers.
DFD629F1-FC07-40BF-B4D8-9A8987CB1F35.jpeg
I just set up my light a few days ago, so hopefully ill see results like this in the near future. Theyre so pretty!

buster71

Reaction score
I got my first bit of frogbit about 2 weeks ago - started with about the same amount that you have in your picture. It has now spread to cover about 70% of my 20 gal long. Grows like crazy. I love the look

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've heard stories of too much frogbit being a bad thing? Like cant cover the whole surface over aeration?

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've had some in different tanks - sometime it does really well sometime not (all tanks have the same lights). It seems to do better with lower current and higher nitrate.
-
Too much ends up blocking the light to lower plants.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Floating plants are basically hit or miss. Either they do great or they die off. Frogbit and water spangles only do well in 2 of my tanks, duckweed only gets on in 3 of my tanks. I have to shuffle around all my plants just to see what tank they will grow in so all my tanks are pretty different in plant stock.

When I get too many plants I thin them out and sell them here, people always want plants and if you sell them cheap in bulk amounts they go fast!

OP
Maryellen

Maryellen

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Here’s an update. It’s been 3isn days sense I’ve posted, and according to you guys, I wasn’t doing anything super wrong, so I decided to just up my light a few hours and WOW! new growth, the roots have tripled in size and I’m beginning to see why this plant tends to take over! Thanks guys!

Attachments

New Threads