Healthy flake food for goldfish? Plz help

2absolute2purity2

What do u use to make sure ur goldfish gets enough greens in their diet per day?I’ve used Cobalt Spirulina + which was$6.99 for 1.2oz, and Seachem Nutridiet Chlorella flakes. I have a 10 inch comet goldfish and i wanna figure out what’s optimal.

ButtercuptheOranda

What do u use to make sure ur goldfish gets enough greens in their diet per day?I’ve used Cobalt Spirulina + which was$6.99 for 1.2oz, and Seachem Nutridiet Chlorella flakes. I have a 10 inch comet goldfish and i wanna figure out what’s optimal.
Ehhh I wouldn’t recommend flakes instead pellets and fresh steamed veggies like broccol, cucumber etc flakes can lead to swim bladder issues And flakes are considered for most people “junk food”

2absolute2purity2

Ty for ur reply! What kind of pellets would you recommend for my stated goldfish? Right now I’m using Wardley 5 oz medium floating pellets. What is optimal for their natural diet?

ButtercuptheOranda

Ty for ur reply! What kind of pellets would you recommend for my stated goldfish? Right now I’m using Wardley 5 oz medium floating pellets. What is optimal for their natural diet?
I’m no expert but I use new life spectrum goldfish pellets I know many people recommend that. Also not trying to be a downer or anything but watch out for floating foods they can cause swim bladder issues cause the goldfish is gulping at the surface. But then again some people say it’s more of an issue with fancy goldfish

BarristanTheBold

I feed my goldfish a variety of foods and food types to keep it varied and hopefully keep them happy - one flake I rely on is TetraPRO Goldfish Crisps ... they're NOT just powdery flakes that get wasted. (I love OmegaOne foods and I feed many of their pellet types but their flakes are useless to me. It's just powdery gunk'n'junk. I tried conversing with them once and I got a "Ohh that's odd, let's stop everything and check the production floor, oh wait we're all good here..." type of response. Wound up just dumping them out, useless...) but the TetraPRO Crisps are circular and "Crispy" so they hold their shape, much more effective food. And their nutritional profile is not bad and not too much protein.

As an aside- prior to this year, I relied on Marineland "color-enhancing" crisps- both goldfish and for my Tropicals - but they were out of stock most of late 2020 and into 2021. I wrote to them and they told me both were discontinued. I assumed that this is because the same company that owns Marineland owns Tetra , so they'd just go with Tetra from now on. Well I am seeing both of them on Amazon now, funny how that works. I actually am going to now order some Marineland because I prefer their versions because the nutritional info seems superior ...better ingredients. But they *told me themselves* that the Marineland line was discontinued... have to see what happens here.

qldmick

I'm a New Life Spectrum guy, from Africans to salties. I'm currently using NLS flake but have just ordered New Life Spectrum Probiotix 300g Regular Pellet 1-1.5mm to take over from that for my goldfish pond.

JustAFishServant

Goldfish are omnivorous but lean towards being an herbivore. In order to thrive, high carbohydrates & fibre is needed. 30% crude protein or higher is only needed for babies. I've researched goldfish diets for over 4 years so you can take my word for it :)

My girls are primarily "vegan" (homemade gel food, blanched veg, repashy soilent green, frozen shelled or canned peas without additives) with occasional cubed frozen brine shrimp or boiled egg. I fed this to my 30-year-old Hibuna. Ditch the fillers (rice, soy, wheat, corn) and bad quality ingredients (fish meal, etc) as it's bad for them long-term. If you want your goldies to live 10, 15, 20, even 30 years, switch to a diet similar to mine. Repashy Soilent Green Gel has quality ingredients. Add peas (frozen shelled or salt & additive-free, organic canned peas) and blanched veg. Wheat germ is great as it's high in carbs. I do hard boiled eggs, oranges, lentils, cooked rice and different types of worms as treats. Hope this helps!

Good luck ;)

MacZ

high carbohydrates
This is one of the biggest misconceptions in fish feeding. Fiber, protein and fat are what fish need.

But fish do not need carbs.
Ditch the fillers (rice, soy, wheat, corn) and bad quality ingredients (fish meal, etc) as it's bad for them long-term.
This though, is true. ;) And the fillers are the carbs. Hence my bewilderment.

JustAFishServant

This is one of the biggest misconceptions in fish feeding. Fiber, protein and fat are what fish need.

But fish do not need carbs.

This though, is true. ;) And the fillers are the carbs. Hence my bewilderment.
Not too many carbs obviously, just a bit. Wheat, corn, soy and rice are carbohydrates but they're unhealthy fillers that can cause digestive issues like bloat. Goldfish only need 25-30% crude protein as adults. People shove their goldfish's food with, like, 50% crude protein...completely unnecessary. If I remember correctly, too much protein can cause kidney failure. Too much fat obviously leads to obesity, which goldfish are prone to.

MacZ

It's a bit more complicated. 50% protein and 30% fat are ok, provided the fiber is also high AND the fish is off filler-foods with carbs. If they are used to carb rich diet, and get that as a staple the high protein and fat are bad indeed.

So it's either the one or the other.

BarristanTheBold

Yo son you can take her word for it because she said so on the Internet.

=== Seems Legit!

:p

Frisbee

Omega One is great. Omega One is meal free and has very little fillers in it, just whole salmon, whole hering, whole shrimp, wheat germ, and pea protein mostly. I use Omega one color enhancing pellets for most of my fish, but they have a really good goldfish formula as well.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bruxes and Bubbles
Replies
Views
imba
Replies
Views
JamieXPXP
Replies
Views