Healthy Betta? Help

1. jkser17

jkser17 New Member Member

1F69F4D4-0763-42E6-8018-56E54E41F474.jpeg 1F69F4D4-0763-42E6-8018-56E54E41F474.jpeg 6C515E7A-3C4F-4D40-BAC1-3375B183D2D5.jpeg 6162FDA9-C4A9-40DA-879F-8A2A46C0402D.jpeg 0F2CDD4E-FEA4-40B8-9919-65C7211F5557.jpeg F79D3395-EC70-481B-9370-D90135BD6164.jpeg Hello everyone,

I have had a male veil tail betta (Haku) from my local fish store for 3 years now, started in a 3.5 gallon filtered and with an LED air stone being fed Tetra Betta Plus pellets. Tank was already cycled. Almost a month ago he upgraded to a 10 gallon filtered and tank now with real plants instead of fake. I have java fern and amazon sword. He's been swimming solo since I got him except for a gold mystery snail which sadly didn't last longer than a day, cause of death unknown. However I've been struggling with knowing about his health since I got him, his fins are always ragged with clear spots where it starts to grow back. I know it's not his decor, I had him in a bare tank to test it and fins did not improve. He has also developed some gold spots which don't look like velvet pictures I've seen. There's no black on his fins so I'm not sure it's fin rot. Recently I added blood worms to his diet, but it's still been difficult to get him to eat. I feed 2-3 pellets twice a day, then a few bloodworms with two pellets every couple days. He sees the food but won't eat. However, he is not lethargic and is always swimming and exploring. He also seems to have a clamped pectoral fin, but that's the only clamped fin I believe he has. He has a bit of bloating and gills appear dark sometimes. He also has shimmery turquoise scales that seem to come and go. Please view the pictures below and let me know what I can do to help my little guy, or if he's healthy. I've never used a heater except in the winter because his tank is naturally kept at 80 degrees. Most recent water levels:
    Nitrate- 0-20
    Nitrite- 0
    Hardness- 150
    Alkalinity- 80
    pH- 7.2

If any other information is needed please don't hesitate to ask.

Attached Files:

2. Raizinhell

Raizinhell Valued Member Member

Whats the temperature?

3. OP
    OP
    jkser17

80 during the day and 78 at night

4. Raizinhell

Raizinhell Valued Member Member

He looks healthy from the pic. Maybe he's just getting old and his metabolism slowed. That would be my guess.

5. OP
    OP
    jkser17

I wondered if he was getting old, he was an adult when I got him. Do you know anything about the fins?

6. PrincessBettafish

PrincessBettafish New Member Member

I can't help with the fins, but my first betta, Lapis, was hit and miss with her appetite in the last month or so of her life. We'd had her for three years, and she was probably 8-12 months when we got her from the store already. I couldn't get her to eat everyday, even though she was relatively active otherwise. She'd eat maybe every three days instead.

He looks healthy to me based on the pictures, and if he's lived for three years (plus however old he was already), it seems like he's doing pretty good otherwise. Might all just be age.

7. OP
    OP
    jkser17

Thank you, it's a relief to know he's becoming an old man and not a sick one!