Health And Fin Types Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by PrincessBettafish, Jun 13, 2018.

1. PrincessBettafish

PrincessBettafishValued MemberMember

Hi, all! I'm new to this forum but have been perusing it for months in regards to my newfound hobby of fish keeping.

I have my eye on a male crowntail from a breeder, but I'm hesitant to buy him because I'm concerned about health issues related to the more extravagant fin types. I've had one male halfmoon betta, and he passed away last week, but he had noticeably been less active than my shorter-finned females. He was a pet store purchase and his health might have been in decline when I got him, too.

Should I expect increased health issues with fin types like this, even when I'm doing all I can on my end to ensure the health of the fish?

2. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

I would say yes about the longer finned bettas having more health issues. They must have very minimal water flow compared to females and plakats which can handle it better. They are more prone to tears in their fins and also finrot/melt. I've never had a long finned male last more than a year or so but I've got several females as well as male plakats that are doing amazing and living well over a year in my care.

I'm not saying keeping a long finned male is a bad idea because of all the possible health issues. They just need extra care to live longer lives. Extra care means (IMO) lots of tall lives plants, sponge filters, and the usual water changes. The key things to keep in mind is making sure the fish doesn't exert itself trying to get around the tank, hence all the live plants to provide much needed resting places near the surface as well as to stifle the water flow.

3. gracerigNew MemberMember

I've had a double tail halfmoon now for about 9 months and he has had more health problems than my plakat. Because of how heavy his fins are, he's a terrible swimmer. He gets stressed easily and has to have a very low flow filter and gets frequent partial water changes. I feel like his health issues are also due in part to sloppy breeding since one of his ventral fins and some of the rays in his tail are a little deformed. I still love him to death and he's doing fine now, so don't let that discourage you. You might just have to be a little better about water conditions.

4. OP
    OP
    PrincessBettafish

PrincessBettafishValued MemberMember

I might be leaning more towards one with shorter fins to be on the safe side. I lost a four year old female plakat three months ago, so losing my halfmoon unexpectedly last week really threw me off :( I wasn't expecting to be digging a second hole in the backyard for another fishy so soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice