Healing thoughts, please :-)

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So, I had an accident today.

I was at the barn and another boarder asked me and my friend, Christina, if we would help her with her horse. She bought this 7-year-old gypsy cob/thoroughbred mare from a rescue to be a horse for her 11-year-old daughter who has a serious blood condition that makes her very frail and fragile. She was told that this mare was broke and had been ridden quite a bit, but hadn't been ridden in a while. She was also told that this mare had been abused in the past, but they weren't sure how. This lady knows absolutely nothing about horses and bought the horse because she was pretty (which she is).

So, the lady asks if we can help her saddle the horse and ride it. We agreed because we thought this horse was broke and able to be handled. Famous last words. Christina helped tack the horse up and I was elected to lunge and then ride her. She tacked up BEAUTIFULLY and was a complete angel, even when Christina dropped the headstall off her face by accident. We took her to the round pen and started to try to lunge her (I was in the pen with the horse and the owner and Christina were watching from the spectators' bench). Well, turns out the horse doesn't know how to lunge, at all. I had to smack her on the rear with the lead rope to get her to move and she'd trot a few steps and then turn and lunge at me. I have NEVER been nervous in a pen with a horse, but that mare made me EXTREMELY nervous. I should have stopped there, but we thought that she was maybe just nervous, so we decided to get up on her and see what she could do. Christina came in the round pen with me and we both weighted the stirrups to see how she'd react (basically leaned as much of our weight as we could through our hands into the stirrups). She didn't even flinch. So, Christina counter-balanced the stirrup for me and I swung up onto her. I even bounced a couple of times to get enough momentum to get up into the saddle and she didn't move. I got my leg over the saddle and was trying to find my right stirrup. I leaned forward slightly to catch it and all of a sudden the mare gave a little buck. I came about halfway out of the saddle, but nothing serious. Well, that apparently made the mare mad (that I didn't come off) and she pinned her ears back and bucked as hard as she could. Since I hadn't had time to rebalance myself after that first little buck, I came over her neck, flipped in the air and landed on my bum, then back, then cracked my head on the ground (in that order). I blacked out for a few seconds and when I came around, my first thought was "Where's the horse?" My second thought was "OMG! My ankle hurts like heck!" My third thought was "Where are my glasses?" (they were miraculously still on my face!!) Christina was asking me if I was okay, so I said "Yeah" and hopped up (didn't feel safe on the ground with that horse around). My ankle hurt like heck, but I walked on it "just fine" (hello, adrenaline!) for about four hours until it suddenly started hurting like nothing I have ever felt before.

Turns out my foot tangled in the stirrup as I came over the mare's neck. I have a vertical hairline fracture of my tibia right before it joins with my ankle. So, I am in a splint for about a week and then a cast for who knows how long. Funny thing is, the barn owner kept telling me it couldn't be broken because I was walking on it. Little does he know that I have an EXTREMELY high pain threshold.

Anyway, healing and un-ouchy thoughts right now would be GREATLY appreciated.

Chicken farmer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow! That does not sound like you had a fun day.

lugia10159

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I hope you get better soon! OUCH that must of hurt!

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That was only the half of it, ChickenFarmer. Just one more thing in a LONG LINE of things that went wrong!!

It does hurt, lugia...especially now that the pain meds they gave me in the ER have worn off and I can't fill my prescription until Friday when I get paid (and I can't take the pain meds at work anyway).

lugia10159

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
bassbonediva said:
That was only the half of it, ChickenFarmer. Just one more thing in a LONG LINE of things that went wrong!!

It does hurt, lugia...especially now that the pain meds they gave me in the ER have worn off and I can't fill my prescription until Friday when I get paid (and I can't take the pain meds at work anyway).
Don't you have Health Insurance?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh no!

Get well soon!

Ken

rjr88238

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wow, that sounded like it hurt. I've heard hairline fractures are painful. I'll be praying for you to get better soon!

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm very sorry to hear you got injured.

It sounds to me that you're lucky that all you got was fracture in your tibia!

I sure hope you get feeling better soon. And take care of that fracture. From what I understand it is harder for a fracture to heal than for a clean break to heal.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gotta love those "well broke horses." Hope you heal up quick.

Cognity7

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Eeep!

I've been on a 'broke' thoroughrbred Mare (ex racehorse ironically)... It was ALMOST the same occurance for me except i stayed on and the mare decided to take off galloping. I was a good 100yds away from the arena before i finally got her stopped.

my experience with thoroughbreds... lunge them for atleast an hour before ever even thinking of getting on them to ride em lol

Hope you feel better soon!

Ked31

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You got really lucky! It could have been much worse. There was a young girl who fractured a vertabra in her neck a few days ago after falling from a horse. She also had multiple other injuries. It wasnt a pretty scene.

Take some advil! It helps a lot with the pain. And there have been studies that suggest it actually speeds up healing of fractures. I learned that yesterday(long story)

Hope you feel better!

Kopeth

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
First of all, be glad you made it out almost unscathed. Horses can cause serious injury (Of course you know this).

For pain reduction, elevation will help reduce the "throbbing" feel you get. Take ibuprofen or whatever is prescribed. I would recommend not taking it unless you need it though because your body can become used to pain meds.

Icing the area helps with swelling and pain if the doctor allows for that. And finally....

When it starts to heal and you get itching like crazy.....find a metal hanger to stick in that cast

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That sounds scary!! Healing prayers sent.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Will you be requesting a screen name change to brokebonediva?

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
lugia10159 said:
Don't you have Health Insurance?
Long story there. I do have health insurance, but my company switched carriers at the beginning of July and I never received any paperwork or cards from them. So, I have to call the insurance company tomorrow and figure out what is up.

Cognity7 said:
I've been on a 'broke' thoroughrbred Mare (ex racehorse ironically)... It was ALMOST the same occurance for me except i stayed on and the mare decided to take off galloping. I was a good 100yds away from the arena before i finally got her stopped.
I usually have a really balanced and secure seat (rode out a dude string gelding's spook and bolt after a motorcycle pulled up a few yards away and revved his engine and flashed his lights...the gelding bucked, then launched himself forward into a dead gallop from a stand still). That's why the fact that she was able to get me off at all is a testament to how badly she wanted me off!

Ked31 said:
You got really lucky! It could have been much worse. There was a young girl who fractured a vertabra in her neck a few days ago after falling from a horse. She also had multiple other injuries. It wasnt a pretty scene.

Take some advil! It helps a lot with the pain. And there have been studies that suggest it actually speeds up healing of fractures. I learned that yesterday(long story)

Hope you feel better!
I'll have to pick up some Advil (tomorrow, hopefully...I can't drive, so I'm having to rely on other people...which I HATE). Anyway, my injuries could have been WAY worse considering I wasn't wearing a helmet (I usually do) and apparently after I hit the ground and blacked out, the mare came after me with every intention of trampling me. Only the quick intervention of my friend saved me from that. I can tell you that I am extremely stiff and sore today and even have a nice bruise on the underside of my forearm from the saddle (hit the horn and scraped across it as I came off).

Kopeth said:
First of all, be glad you made it out almost unscathed. Horses can cause serious injury (Of course you know this).

For pain reduction, elevation will help reduce the "throbbing" feel you get. Take ibuprofen or whatever is prescribed. I would recommend not taking it unless you need it though because your body can become used to pain meds.

Icing the area helps with swelling and pain if the doctor allows for that. And finally....

When it starts to heal and you get itching like crazy.....find a metal hanger to stick in that cast
I actually don't have that much throbbing. In fact, I was at the stable all day today (just hanging out) and was getting around great. Actually, my armpits/sides and right leg hurt more from supporting all my weight and the crutches than my actual fracture does. lol I tried ice, but for some reason the cold can't penetrate the layers upon layers that make up the splint on my leg.

jdhef said:
Will you be requesting a screen name change to brokebonediva?
ROFL! Nope! Can you believe this is my first ever major broken bone (breaking my left ring finger on the second knuckle in high school doesn't count)?

Ked31

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Always wear a helmet! Saved me from splitting the back of my head open once when I fell from a rafter at a softball game(I was swinging from them)

I am assuming you have a plaster splint. Try putting ice where the plaster isn't. Depending on how the doctor did the splint, some cold might get through. That works for me on my hand, but you may have more wrapping than I do. I only broke my metacarpal so it's a lot easier to immobilize than your ankle is.

And yes, crutches make you very sore. Try stretching a little bit and massaging your sore muscles.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's the weird thing, seriously. I am usually beyond religious about wearing a helmet (worked at a Girls Scout horse camp last fall). I even made my friend wear a helmet for her first English lesson in the arena on her horse that was trained for lower-level dressage.

About the splint...it's fiberglass behind my leg (supporting my calf down around my foot at a 90 degree angle, then several layers of cotton gauze to wrap and cushion my leg, a stretch cotton sleeve on my leg AND three ACE bandages.

Ked31

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
We all forget occasionally. I know what your talking about with the splint. Try to ice where there isn't fiberglass. You might also be able to tuck an ice bag under the ace wrap if the ace isn't too tight.

callichma

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ice and elevate, that's right. Also be sure to get your calcium, magnesium, and vitamin D3 to help your bone heal quickly. You seem to have a good attitude, so you'll do fine. Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, etc.) is an anti-inflammatory and will actually do better for pain control than narcotics. Just be sure NOT to take on an empty stomach. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

steve(redlakefalls,mn)

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
just remember,if you fall off the horse get back on.LOL.best wishes and i hope you heal soon.(gotta love thos wild horses).take care.STEVE.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom