Healed enough, or time for more meds?

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well, some of you may have read about the saga of Hector, my bronze cory. Yes, he is amazingly still alive. I was going to put him down last week, but he was still eating, it is just that I still don't see any real healing from his fin rot happening yet.

As of now, he is still missing a piece under his tail, and one of his 'flipper' fins is a bit smaller. So he swims rather funny. But he is swimming! He doesn't look as healthy as his friend in the main tank, but could also be due to general unhappiness, he hates being all alone I am sure!

My questions are:1. Is it possible that he will never heal, but could still be healthy?

2. Is he not healing yet because he needs more meds?

3. Has it not been long enough yet for a large bit like under his tail to grow back (3 weeks)?

4. Will he just get re-infected if I put him back into the main tank, or would he harm the other fish? (I don't think he is contagious but what do I know!)

5. If he can't swim fast enough, would he not be able to get food with others around?

A lot of questions! Thanks all in advance for taking the time to read this and answer, I am really uncertain what to do here. Vacations are coming up and I have no one to give him the daily level of care that I have been giving him. I was hoping he would be better by now. Perhaps that is unrealistic.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well, my brother has a Serpae tetra that lost it's tail fin completely. It's been about 5 weeks and it's just now starting to grow back, so I'm thinking he isn't done healing. But there is a possibility of his wounds not healing completely. If you haven't noticed any changes by next month, you could move him back.
More meds might not help, but only stress him out more, which could mess up the healing, and even cause him to get rot fin again.
If it is healed at all, the rot fin is most likely gone, but it's not worth risking.
Raising the water temp to about 80 -86 degrees F will give his immune system a nice boost and help him heal faster.
He may have problems feeding if you put him back into the main tank with fish stronger and faster than him. It is a good idea to make sure he gets fed well while quarantined, and that is one of those things we will just have to wait and see. If he heals properly, there shouldn't be any problems...if he doesn't, you might have to make sure he gets his food in the main tank. If that means sticking your hands in to keep the others away, so be it.

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks Ben, that sounds reasonable. I'll keep him quarantined a while longer, keep the tank warm enough and he always has a pellet to nibble on, I put one in morning and evening with water changes, so I clean up all the old food before giving something new. He is creating waste so I know he is eating. Stress-coat, vitachem and garlic guard are also part of his treatment. Guess I will just wait and see. I don't mind if he will be 'scarred for life', I just want him to be able to hold his own in the main tank and not get re-infected.

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just thouht I'd let ya know I've been reading your threads and I am hopeing your cory makes a full recovery. The wouds you describe seem to be pretty serious. Give it time. Sounds like to me anyway that he is on the path to recovery. Just keep doing what you are doing and keep high spirits.

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks Karl for the best wishes!
The little guy has had it tough, I really hope that he is on the mend. It has been a lot of daily care but worth it to me.
Hector says thanks!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom