heads up to fish keepers about reaction to Capzasin

1. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

If you are sensitive to chiles, do not use Capzasin and reach into a fish tank without gloves…

I have been taking several different over the counter pain relievers for severe tendinitis the last seven weeks and decided to try Capzasin on my doctors recommendation. Unfortunately, I am one of the few people who get minor burns from the chiles in it. I only realized that I had minor burns on my hands and arms when I tried to wash them. It looks like a faint rash, but the stinging lasts for hours.

Chiles can burn physically even if a person does not sense it as pain. I recommend people make sure they do not have what looks like a rash from using Capzasin before getting into a tank without gloves.

I am glad this all went down after I did some rearranging of plants in one of the tanks. I have enough problems with a mycobacterial situation.

Ugh, I was not expecting a problem as I only recently have had trouble with chiles. Menopause is playing havoc with my system. Wine, beer, citrus, tomatoes, and chiles give me horrible blisters. It's a bummer as I am a foodie. I am hoping this goes away by the time my daughter leaves for college and I qualify for senior citizen discounts for local University extension classes. In the meantime, I am having to get extra endorphins via sweet and savory flavors. I had better not become allergic to chocolate or I will have to go live in solitude for hubby's sake :p

2. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Yikes, sounds painful :(

3. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

All Chillies and peppers contain Capsasum in various amounts according to variety.
    Its the amount of this stuff that gives the " burn " to the chillie or pepper

4. Tetra Guy Member Member

Capsaicin is the active ingredient which has the burning effect. Formally being a cop, I've been sprayed with OC several times so know its effects quite well.

It is also made in a cream to treat sore muscles. I can't stand the stuff, having it being sprayed in my face.

5. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Sprayed in your face for training or by accident? :0

6. Tetra Guy Member Member

Lol, training. It's important to know how it effects you because when you spray it, there is a very good chance the officer will get some too.

7. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Ow ow ow

That must be one of those details about job training that we don't hear about ahead of time ;)

8. Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

You think capsicum and fish tank water are bad, try being Tazed while reaching into the tank! :)

9. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Ok, you have got to tell this story!

10. Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

Well, I was just kidding. I know police and some EMS departments have their people experience OC exposure as well as being Tazed so they'll understand them better. I figured an aquarist policeman might have been Tazed while reaching into their tank. :)

I have been shocked a few times, though. It's always a reminder to be more careful when working with/around electricity!

11. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Ya got me! Now I have yet another reason not to go into police work.

I did actually buy some Mace once as a precaution, but I never did even attempt to use it as it is such a problematic device. It is somewhere in my house under a bunch of unsorted papers that I need to recycle, I'm sure :0